Hey Spiess, a question about Android Market

Started by MadBurgerMaker, August 05, 2011, 04:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

The bluetooth on my Aria took a dump the other day, so I decided to just go ahead and upgrade about 6 months early instead of trying to repair the old one.  Ended up with a Motorola Atrix, which is pretty damn slick so far btw.  The initial setup and all that went just fine, except for the fact that the Android Market was missing almost all of my apps, including the ones I had paid for.  By "almost all," I mean only Google Maps and one other thing were on there.  Same account I used with the other phone, etc. 

You know of any way to fix this?

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 05, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
The bluetooth on my Aria took a dump the other day, so I decided to just go ahead and upgrade about 6 months early instead of trying to repair the old one.  Ended up with a Motorola Atrix, which is pretty damn slick so far btw.  The initial setup and all that went just fine, except for the fact that the Android Market was missing almost all of my apps, including the ones I had paid for.  By "almost all," I mean only Google Maps and one other thing were on there.  Same account I used with the other phone, etc. 

You know of any way to fix this?

What carrier are you with?  AT&T?

edit: I guess it kinda has to be AT&T, duh.  I did hear that they restricted some of the Market apps in some of their phones.  They have done their damnedest to cripple their Android phones in all sorts of ways.

To check phone compatibility, I would go to the Android Market website (on a regular computer) and click on "My Library" https://market.android.com/

This should show you everything you've ever purchased or installed.  Click on one of the apps you're missing on your new phone and on the next screen look over to the left, where it should tell you whether it is compatible with your phone (it may still have your Aria listed, but it should also list your Atrix).  This is assuming you had originally purchased/downloaded these apps from the official Android Market.

If it shows your Atrix as being incompatible with the missing apps, I'd say that has to be due to some BS artificial restriction AT&T was responsible for. 

Some possible work-arounds might be:

*Root your phone & install a custom ROM or the Market Enabler (this would be my solution but rooting does invalidate your warranty and carries other risk)

*Find the .apk files for each of the apps & try to install them on your Atrix (you have to have "Allow non-market apps" checked in Application Settings)

*Download the Amazon App Store & see if you can download or re-purchase the apps from there. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

I haven't come across anything that isn't available on the Atrix that was on the Aria yet.  The stuff is still showing up in the Market (except for Better Keyboard 8, don't know what the deal with that is, but apparently their account got suspended) to be purchased, it just isn't in my downloads section anymore. 

As far as rooting goes: Eh, I'm not really wanting to do that at the moment.  I'll see if I can do the .apk thing.

It doesn't really matter anymore, I guess.  I just re-downloaded all the free ones, and the purchased ones are only a few bucks if I even decide to get them again.  I've been finding free substitutes that seem to work just fine....except for the goddamn keyboard.  Why is the little microphone for voice input in the spot where the comma needs to be?!  The GO keyboard seems to suck, but not as much as touchpal and the smart keyboard trial version.

Also, Swype is weird.  Oh and get the Swamp Water live wallpaper.  Just do it.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 08, 2011, 06:06:05 PM
I haven't come across anything that isn't available on the Atrix that was on the Aria yet.  The stuff is still showing up in the Market (except for Better Keyboard 8, don't know what the deal with that is, but apparently their account got suspended) to be purchased, it just isn't in my downloads section anymore. 

The more I think of it, you may not see those apps in the downloads section on your new phone until you've actually downloaded them to your phone.  They should definitely appear if you go to the Market web site via a PC, though, since at that point you're navigating at an account level rather than device level.

QuoteAs far as rooting goes: Eh, I'm not really wanting to do that at the moment.  I'll see if I can do the .apk thing.
Rooting sounds more daunting than it really is, but it's also one of those things you don't do unless you feel a compelling reason to do so.

QuoteIt doesn't really matter anymore, I guess.  I just re-downloaded all the free ones, and the purchased ones are only a few bucks if I even decide to get them again.

You shouldn't have to re-purchase them, though.  Are you sure you set up the same Google account on your Atrix that you had linked to your Aria?

QuoteI've been finding free substitutes that seem to work just fine....except for the goddamn keyboard.  Why is the little microphone for voice input in the spot where the comma needs to be?!

Have you tried the voice to text function, though?  It's almost scary how accurate it is-- particularly when you do a voice search. 

QuoteThe GO keyboard seems to suck, but not as much as touchpal and the smart keyboard trial version.

Also, Swype is weird. 

I use the HTC Sense keyboard, which is pretty good.  Swype came pre-installed on my phone & it seems pretty functional, but I don't want to have to re-train my fingers, given how long it has taken me to get the hang of the keyboard I've been using.

QuoteOh and get the Swamp Water live wallpaper.  Just do it.

:o  If I wasn't a germ-phobe before, I am now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on August 09, 2011, 09:35:08 AM
The more I think of it, you may not see those apps in the downloads section on your new phone until you've actually downloaded them to your phone.  They should definitely appear if you go to the Market web site via a PC, though, since at that point you're navigating at an account level rather than device level.

vOv They're not there.  There's only two of them (aside from the Better Keyboard) that are missing now.  Both purchased apps.  Meh.  No biggie if it doesn't unfuck itself on it's own at this point.  I don't want to wipe the thing to try to fix it that way.

QuoteRooting sounds more daunting than it really is, but it's also one of those things you don't do unless you feel a compelling reason to do so.

I rooted the Nook and all that.  There's just no reason to do so with this phone so far. 

QuoteYou shouldn't have to re-purchase them, though.  Are you sure you set up the same Google account on your Atrix that you had linked to your Aria?

Si

QuoteHave you tried the voice to text function, though?  It's almost scary how accurate it is-- particularly when you do a voice search.

Yeah, the Aria had that too.  I used it while driving.  :ph34r:  Maybe it was a Better Keyboard thing, but it had both the mic and the comma on there.  I use commas a lot while texting, it seems.

QuoteI use the HTC Sense keyboard, which is pretty good.  Swype came pre-installed on my phone & it seems pretty functional, but I don't want to have to re-train my fingers, given how long it has taken me to get the hang of the keyboard I've been using.

Hmm...downloading now. Ahh that's not htc it's in some strange language kill it with fire

I need to fire the Aria back up and see what the stock keyboard looked like.  I got that other one because it allowed me to easily adjust the size and make things not...quite...so cramped on the tiny screen.

Edit: Oh thank god better keyboard is back on the market and they're saying they'll resend me an unlock key if i email them my order number or whatever from before.   This is so much better than the free shit I've been trying the last couple of days, I'm considering just giving them the $3 anyway.  "TAKE MY MONEY AND NEVER LEAVE ME AGAIN!"

Quote:o  If I wasn't a germ-phobe before, I am now.

:D  My favorite live wallpaper so far.  Just....things....swimming around on a nice, blue background.  Some of that other shit just gets way too busy.