News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So my brother is quiting his job

Started by Razgovory, August 13, 2011, 10:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

My younger brother (the only of my two siblings to be gainfully employed), is quitting his job tomorrow.  He heard that his boss was going to fire him when she came back from her vacation.  Apparently she doesn't like the fact that he's a proud member of the glitter brigade.  I'm not sure if that's a legal reason to fire someone, and I don't think it's very good idea to quit his job to preempt  her.  Hell, I'm not sure if it's not just a rumor.  I don't have much experience with these kinds of things.  Every time I get fired the employer probably has a good case.  Like that it I beat a coworker senseless with a chair leg and painted him yellow.  Or that other time I jumped a guy in the office after work who was making fun of me and bit him several times.  So input, would be welcome.

And because Ed liked the photos so much the first time, he's some pics of the little bastard.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2011, 10:50:50 PM
Like that it I beat a coworker senseless with a chair leg and painted him yellow.  Or that other time I jumped a guy in the office after work who was making fun of me and bit him several times.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

We were painting curbs so we had lots of yellow paint. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Your brother is hot, especially in the last picture.

As for the legal question, I think it depends on the state legislation. There are definitely states where you cannot fire someone for being gay, but there are those where you can.

Ed Anger

QuoteAnd because Ed liked the photos so much the first time

Raz, you made my enemies list. And your brother is an idiot for 1) Quitting instead of making them firing him and 2)Being a glittertard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

total idiot for quitting  in case he was sacked
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 07:18:53 AM

Raz, you made my enemies list. And your brother is an idiot for 1) Quitting instead of making them firing him and 2)Being a glittertard.
QFT.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Princesca

Agree. Way more options if you wait to get fired. Of course, then when you fill out job applications later, you can't honestly check 'no' on the question of "Have you ever been fired from a job or asked to resign..."
"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

Faeelin

Quote from: Scipio on August 14, 2011, 08:53:30 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2011, 07:18:53 AM

QFT.

Hmm. I always thought it was better to resign than be fired. No?

Princesca

I guess it depends on your goals. If you want to qualify for unemployment, I was always led to believe that you are disqualified if you leave voluntarily. Also, if there's to be an kind of discrimination lawsuit, I would think it would be more likely to go in your favor if you were actually fired.
"You know what I hate about deep space? Crap radio stations from two hundred years back. My gosh, we were idiots." - Joker, Mass Effect 2

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." - Emerson

Martinus

Btw, is glittertard a word for gay or is this a reference to some weird subculture?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2011, 09:42:43 AM
Btw, is glittertard a word for gay or is this a reference to some weird subculture?

Look in thy mirror.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Princesca on August 14, 2011, 09:37:03 AM
I guess it depends on your goals. If you want to qualify for unemployment, I was always led to believe that you are disqualified if you leave voluntarily. Also, if there's to be an kind of discrimination lawsuit, I would think it would be more likely to go in your favor if you were actually fired.

CORRECT.

Martinus

Quote from: Princesca on August 14, 2011, 09:37:03 AM
Also, if there's to be an kind of discrimination lawsuit, I would think it would be more likely to go in your favor if you were actually fired.

I can see this going both ways. If you quit because of harassment/discrimination, they can't claim they fired you because of your bad performance.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 14, 2011, 03:40:55 AM
Your brother is hot, especially in the last picture.

As for the legal question, I think it depends on the state legislation. There are definitely states where you cannot fire someone for being gay, but there are those where you can.

Missouri is one of the states where you can fire someone for being gay.