Future of war: Private robot armies fight it out

Started by jimmy olsen, August 10, 2011, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 11:53:06 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 06:41:15 PM
Best case scenario, androids or consciousness transfers.
There's no such thing as a consciousness transfer.  That's like believing in magic.

You could likely replicate the same patterns.  But most people would probably be surprised by the results, because most people think consciousness is actually continuous and non-discrete.

I hate seeing it in fiction when someone "uploads" or whatever terminology they use, and their body falls down like a ragdoll.  It's like assuming that a photograph can steal your soul.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

There's no such thing as a consciousness transfer.  That's like believing in magic.

Any sufficiently advanced technology will seem like magic to less advanced societies. We've barely (hell, even that's an exaggeration) begun to scratch the surface of the inner workings of the mind and the psyche and ruling out things this soon is nigh on impossible.

Regardless, I didn't say that I believed it's a possibility, I merely said that it would be the best type of scenario that I think we could realistically wish for.

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 11:59:11 AM

You could likely replicate the same patterns.  But most people would probably be surprised by the results, because most people think consciousness is actually continuous and non-discrete.

I hate seeing it in fiction when someone "uploads" or whatever terminology they use, and their body falls down like a ragdoll.  It's like assuming that a photograph can steal your soul.

And in the 80s they believed people would be walking around with computer terminals strapped to fanny packs. What technology will look like in 30, let alone 100 years, is pretty difficult to accurately predict.

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 08:45:41 PM
Any sufficiently advanced technology will seem like magic to less advanced societies. We've barely (hell, even that's an exaggeration) begun to scratch the surface of the inner workings of the mind and the psyche and ruling out things this soon is nigh on impossible.

Regardless, I didn't say that I believed it's a possibility, I merely said that it would be the best type of scenario that I think we could realistically wish for.
Don't bother quoting Clarke to me.  The only thing that is you is you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 08:45:41 PM

Don't bother quoting Clarke to me.  The only thing that is you is you.

Maybe. In which case humanity is imminently fucked.  ;)

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 08:57:08 PM
Of course.  Everything goes extinct.  Why would humanity be any different?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 08:46:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 11:59:11 AM

And in the 80s they believed people would be walking around with computer terminals strapped to fanny packs. What technology will look like in 30, let alone 100 years, is pretty difficult to accurately predict.

It's simply not how consciousness works, as even mere observation can demonstrate.

The best you can ever create is a replica.  Which sounds worse than it would be, since "you" only exist for a moment anyway.  Continuity is a complete illusion--consider that you are not consciously aware of your entire life up till this point.  The "you" in the past is only accessible by memory.  Consider further that the accessing itself takes time and is not an immediate process, but a discrete series of steps carried out by your thinking organ.

Several "yous" access memory--and between all of them, and between the saved memory and the human recovering them, the state of the brain is different, and in many cases the atoms themselves won't be the same.  If consciousness transfer can't even be accomplished within the same body, why would it be feasible to do so with two?

So the notion of uploading a continuous consciousness is no different than believing in an immortal soul.  It only seems more plausible, but its rooted in the most pernicious of ideologies, that of mind-body dualism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 09:03:08 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2011, 08:57:08 PM
Of course.  Everything goes extinct.  Why would humanity be any different?

Eventually, of course. It's the nature of entropy that all constructs must "end".

I'm talking about the next couple of generations.

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 09:03:37 PM
It's simply not how consciousness works, as even mere observation can demonstrate.

The best you can ever create is a replica.  Which sounds worse than it would be, since "you" only exist for a moment anyway.  Continuity is a complete illusion--consider that you are not consciously aware of your entire life up till this point.  The "you" in the past is only accessible by memory.  Consider further that the accessing itself takes time and is not an immediate process, but a discrete series of steps carried out by your thinking organ.

Several "yous" access memory--and between all of them, and between the saved memory and the human recovering them, the state of the brain is different, and in many cases the atoms themselves won't be the same.  If consciousness transfer can't even be accomplished within the same body, why would it be feasible to do so with two?

So the notion of uploading a continuous consciousness is no different than believing in an immortal soul.  It only seems more plausible, but its rooted in the most pernicious of ideologies, that of mind-body dualism.

I'm familiar with the theory. But it presupposes that we already know all the building blocks that make up a person and that there is indeed no such thing as a "soul" whether we're talking about the spiritual version or simply an extra-physical (for the lack of a better way to describe physical laws we are simply unaware of) construct that is independent of the body itself.

I hate to repeat myself, but it's painfully evident that I must: I'm not saying you're absolutely wrong, I'm simply saying that we don't have enough data to conclusively determine you're right.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 06:41:15 PMThey've already made several worst-case scenario movies starring Austrian actors.  :P

Pretty sure he was a painter, not an actor.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Neil

Eddie Teach

And lo and behold, it might even happen in my life time. That I'd not imagined.  :D

Machines wouldn't reproduce, so eventually they'd die out and the cave people would repopulate the earth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 11, 2011, 11:52:10 PM
And lo and behold, it might even happen in my life time. That I'd not imagined.  :D

Machines wouldn't reproduce, so eventually they'd die out and the cave people would repopulate the earth.

:huh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_machine

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 10:15:37 PM
A soul?  That's just an argument for magic.

I hate to repeat myself, but it's painfully evident that I must: I'm not  saying you're absolutely wrong, I'm simply saying that we don't have  enough data to conclusively determine you're right.                

Slargos

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 11, 2011, 09:53:32 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 06:41:15 PMThey've already made several worst-case scenario movies starring Austrian actors.  :P

Pretty sure he was a painter, not an actor.

I said worst-case. WORST case.

Keep up.  :rolleyes: