News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2024, 01:31:21 PMI guess this collaboration was inevitable: Baby Metal x Electric Callboy.  :XD:

Top comment:

Surprised they're still around. That seemed a one off joke
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Ever since I saw a stream of Another Crab's Treasure (a cutesy underwater soulslike game), this boss music has been stuck in my head. It's very basic and straightforward - guess that's why it got lodged into my brain curvatures. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

The Isley Brothers - 3+3 (1973)

The first album to officially list their younger brothers and a son-in-law as part of the band (hence 3+3.)  This is much more rock influenced than their previous albums and includes covers of James Taylor's "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight," The Doobie Brothers' "Listen to the Music" and Seals and Crofts' "Summer Breeze."  (As a fair warning, not even the Isley Brothers can give James Taylor songs soul.)  "That Lady" is the big hit off of this one, but it's solid throughout.  The cover:

was in the spirit of the times.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on May 31, 2024, 01:37:15 PMStevie Wonder :cool: - Innervisions (1973)

Would be my choice for best (non-jazz) album of the year.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2024, 01:13:34 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 31, 2024, 01:37:15 PMStevie Wonder :cool: - Innervisions (1973)

Would be my choice for best (non-jazz) album of the year.

I have a hard time choosing between Innervisions and Dark Side of the Moon; (and I could see the case for Catch a Fire as well.  That was a really good year for albums.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Dr Who recently did a Bridgerton episode. In this I noticed the soundtrack was a lot of modern music played in a regency style. My gf pointed out this was typical of Bridgerton. I can't help but find this quite cool.
This has led me to the Westworld soundtrack which my memory jogged I now remember did the same thing.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I feel you get that a lot. You have the whole "bardcore" genre of music, Bioshock: Infinite did vaudeville and barbershop covers of 80s pop songs ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I assume most people here are familiar with the 1970s disco version of the Star Wars theme.

Synthwave band Scandroid have delivered a very decent retro-synth version of the Force Theme (with hints of Isao Tomita and some disco):

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Mike Oldfield: Songs of Distant Earth
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Evita.  Original London cast recording
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011