And we're back!

Main Menu

Westboro Baptist Church

Started by alfred russel, August 04, 2011, 10:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2011, 07:46:06 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 04, 2011, 10:41:52 PM
They don't have freedom of speech or constitutional rights in Norway.  They'd do time for hate crimes.

This is what I was thinking as soon as read the article.  It would be grand if the Norwegians let them in and then arrested them and tossed them in the clink for a while.  In all likely hood they'll deny the kooks entry in the country though. :(

They would, too.

There's been talk brewing of arresting "bloggers" (although the more realistic targets are forum dwellers) for aiding and abetting in the Utøya murders. "Fjordman" has already been called in for questioning, although I don't know what they think they could get out of it.

Norwegians are pretty serious about this, and you don't have to do much in order to give them an excuse for arresting you if they so wish. They have plenty of legal elbow room.

The Brain

Do the Norwegians use systematic torture like the Americans?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2011, 08:53:03 AM

Given how loosely it's defined lately, my answer is yes.

After all, they serve Norwegian food in prison.

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on August 05, 2011, 08:55:59 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2011, 08:53:03 AM

Given how loosely it's defined lately, my answer is yes.

After all, they serve Norwegian food in prison.

Norwegian wood in the showers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2011, 03:02:12 AM

I think they did more to make people take the side of gay rights than HRC and GLAAD combined. :P

And yes, they are quite funny, in a nutty way. I heard two interviews with Shirley Phelps who is the eldest daughter of Fred Phelps and she comes accross as intelligent, witty and batshit crazy. Sometimes they make me wonder if this is not all a really elaborate prank.

The website seems suspiciously high quality, and moving people about the world to protest funerals isn't cheap. I almost wouldn't be suprised if they were funded by a wealthy atheist to discredit fundamentalist religion. I thought of Neil when I saw the song, "Air Farce."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on August 05, 2011, 09:33:32 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2011, 03:02:12 AM

I think they did more to make people take the side of gay rights than HRC and GLAAD combined. :P

And yes, they are quite funny, in a nutty way. I heard two interviews with Shirley Phelps who is the eldest daughter of Fred Phelps and she comes accross as intelligent, witty and batshit crazy. Sometimes they make me wonder if this is not all a really elaborate prank.

The website seems suspiciously high quality, and moving people about the world to protest funerals isn't cheap. I almost wouldn't be suprised if they were funded by a wealthy atheist to discredit fundamentalist religion. I thought of Neil when I saw the song, "Air Farce."

They are all lawyers.  Seriously, they are almost all lawyers.  Phelps made a name for himself suing anyone who crossed his path back in Kansas.  He was eventually disbarred because of it, but he forced all his children to become lawyers in his stead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017