News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most overrated WW2 commander

Started by Threviel, July 28, 2011, 02:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the most overrated commander of WW2?

Rommel
9 (17.3%)
von Manstein
0 (0%)
Guderian
0 (0%)
von Rundstedt
1 (1.9%)
Kesselring
0 (0%)
Montgomery
11 (21.2%)
Slim
0 (0%)
Auchinleck
0 (0%)
Bomber Harris
1 (1.9%)
Cunningham
0 (0%)
de Gaulle
2 (3.8%)
Eisenhower
0 (0%)
MacArthur
7 (13.5%)
Patton
11 (21.2%)
Nimitz
1 (1.9%)
Halsey
0 (0%)
Zhukov
5 (9.6%)
Rokossovsky
0 (0%)
Konev
0 (0%)
Vasilevsky
0 (0%)
Timoshenko
0 (0%)
Chiang Kai-Chek
0 (0%)
Mao
2 (3.8%)
Tito
0 (0%)
Yamashita
0 (0%)
Yamamoto
0 (0%)
Nagumo
0 (0%)
Mannerheim
0 (0%)
Jaron/other
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
I wasn't but it might be a good idea. For them. If they want to win.

You know, I think you're right.  I can't think of a single time when Canada was on the losing side of a war.   :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2011, 02:42:00 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
I wasn't but it might be a good idea. For them. If they want to win.

You know, I think you're right.  I can't think of a single time when Canada was on the losing side of a war.   :cool:

Well, the Seven Years war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Canada lost several wars of national liberation against the British monarchical regime.  Sadly a major cause of the defeat each time was the widespread willingness of Canadians to collaborate with their royalist oppresors.  Not even the intervention of their free brethern to the South could swing the tide of victory.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Afghanistan.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2011, 03:13:20 PM

Afghanistan.

Don't think that war is over yet Yi.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 29, 2011, 12:15:44 PM
And dammit, I don't want to ever have to defend the English ever again.  :mad:

:lol:

I remember a US general making a similar point in the World at War televison series. He also noted that, so far, the American troops had had a rather boring time in England and were rather keen to have bash at the wehrmacht before the 3rd Reich ended. Meanwhile many of the British troops had been at it for years and were far more focussed on survival and getting home. If Monty and Patton had swapped personalities then one suspects that both sets of troops would have been rather pissed off  :cool:

Razgovory

Major Frost and his boys were pissed off as it was.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Great film.  I wonder if the SS actually stood up on their vehicles ram-rod stiff like that. 

Kleves

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 29, 2011, 07:36:25 AM
I mean, without us, as I mentioned before, you would still be trying to take St-Mere-Eglise.

St-Mere-Eglise fell to the paratroopers before the landings even took place.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 28, 2011, 12:36:39 PM
re Zhukov I don't see how anyone who both successfully countered Manstein and the German Army at the front and Stalin at his back, and came through all of that alive, can be overrated.

Exactly.  The fact that he survived the entirety of the war without getting recalled to Moscow and getting a bullet in the back of his head for his efforts gives him a gold fucking star.

Quote3. Patton - that degree of lack of self-control is a fatal flaw.  He is like the all-star level ballplayer that misses the key games of the season because he gets into bar fights after the game.

He was a fighter and he was a winner.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 08:18:42 AM
re Zhukov I don't see how anyone who both successfully countered Manstein and the German Army at the front and Stalin at his back, and came through all of that alive, can be overrated.

Exactly.  The fact that he survived the entirety of the war without getting recalled to Moscow and getting a bullet in the back of his head for his efforts gives him a gold fucking star.

Then Budyonyy also demands a gold star as well as a vat of wine to swim around in with hookers.

Verdict: UNDERRATED.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Oh, and Monty can eat the peanuts out of my star-spangled shit.  Fucker took years off Ike's life, just by being in the room.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 30, 2011, 08:27:22 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2011, 08:18:42 AM

Then Budyonyy also demands a gold star as well as a vat of wine to swim around in with hookers.

Verdict: UNDERRATED.

Most Soviet generals deserve places in whore heaven.