Ashley Olsen Spotted Sporting $39,000 Backpack By The Row

Started by garbon, July 27, 2011, 05:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Drakken on July 28, 2011, 09:40:33 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 28, 2011, 09:38:22 AM
If I worked at a "democratic company" I would quit and find a real company. Sounds like a nightmare.

In Soviet Sweden, democratic company owns you.

Because right now, everyone owns the place they work!

Drakken

Quote from: Pat on July 28, 2011, 09:45:31 AM
What about taking the surplus value of labour from many workers and then spending it on inconspicious consumption? And maybe if you could read and understand what I was writing you would see I wasn't arguing for Robin Hood robbery or theft, even by the most libartardian standards.

Because your premise starts from the assumption that such celebrities would tacitly accept being trickled-down like that, instead of voting with their feet and leaving with their surplus of money to go somewhere they are actually free to use their money as they see fit, like say the United States.

Charity is one thing, forced charity is another.

Consumption may be deemed "inconspicious consumption" to you, but to them it's just enjoying their money. And yes, people have the inherent right to be selfish, petty, and vain with their wealth as long as it doesn't trample on the liberty of others. They even have the right of hoarding or destroying that wealth for his or her enjoyment.

Quote from: Pat on July 28, 2011, 09:48:57 AM
Because right now, everyone owns the place they work!

They can buy shares and become stakeholders, or they can create a coop.

Ed Anger

I spent over a thousand on a smoker/grill and it is fabulous. No swedes are invited to my cookout. Well, maybe Brain if he brings some animals to grill.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

"Bagge får tacka lamm". But what if there is no afterlife?

I suspect you either read it incorrectly, or not at all.  :hmm:

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 28, 2011, 09:54:38 AM
I spent over a thousand on a smoker/grill and it is fabulous. No swedes are invited to my cookout. Well, maybe Brain if he brings some animals to grill.

:hug: I'll bring some lovely animals.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

:cry:

What if I promised to behave?

Drakken

We've still got some cariboos here, I can illegally poach one and bring it over.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on July 28, 2011, 09:56:16 AM

:cry:

What if I promised to behave?

Okay.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Pat on July 28, 2011, 08:56:18 AM
Buying shit like that is a clear sign you have more money than you need, whereas, on the flip-side, there are a lot of people that clearly need money. Time and resources are spent on making, advertising and selling stupid shit people wouldn't buy unless they had too much money and those time and resources could be used to the benefit of normal people.
could be, but wouldn't be. She'd just keep it in the bank, advertising firms and croc purse factories would shut down causing more hungry people.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Haven't several countries tried it your way already Pat?

Pat

Pat

Quote from: Slargos on July 28, 2011, 09:55:02 AM

"Bagge får tacka lamm". But what if there is no afterlife?

I suspect you either read it incorrectly, or not at all.  :hmm:

I also read the passages before and after.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Pat on July 28, 2011, 11:18:10 AM
No?

Pre-liberalization China had its "iron rice bowl" policy.  Cuba still has its guaranteed food ration.

Or perhaps you mean on a global scale?  As long as there is still one person going hungry in Bangladesh then $39,000 rucksacks should be appropriated?

If the latter, that then begs the question of why you are still consuming at higher than a subsistence level.  Don't you have a moral obligation to divert that surplus to people with a greater need than you?

Pat

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2011, 11:31:03 AM
Quote from: Pat on July 28, 2011, 11:18:10 AM
No?

Pre-liberalization China had its "iron rice bowl" policy.  Cuba still has its guaranteed food ration.

Or perhaps you mean on a global scale?  As long as there is still one person going hungry in Bangladesh then $39,000 rucksacks should be appropriated?

If the latter, that then begs the question of why you are still consuming at higher than a subsistence level.  Don't you have a moral obligation to divert that surplus to people with a greater need than you?

I already answered that question, no, I don't think I have. I don't think individuals have obligations to solve structural problems as individuals (edit: except through working for structural changes that might actually make a difference on the macro level). Also, if you tried giving a chance reading what I wrote maybe you'd see I'm not arguing for maoism or castroism (sorry, I know it's like 15 lines and that's 10 lines too much for this forum...).