What Would Most Surprise A Visitor from 1991?

Started by Queequeg, August 04, 2011, 11:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2011, 07:19:52 PM
I hear this excuse all the time when a deregulation scheme fails.  It reminds me of the communists who claimed the reason the Soviet Union failed was because it wasn't true communism, which saves them from admitting to themselves the problem might lie in the under lying ideology rather then it's execution.  The problem is the ideology that you should remove all the regulations you can get away with.

The solution is the ideology that any regulation, just so long as it's regulation, is the cure.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2011, 07:42:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 05, 2011, 07:19:52 PM
I hear this excuse all the time when a deregulation scheme fails.  It reminds me of the communists who claimed the reason the Soviet Union failed was because it wasn't true communism, which saves them from admitting to themselves the problem might lie in the under lying ideology rather then it's execution.  The problem is the ideology that you should remove all the regulations you can get away with.

The solution is the ideology that any regulation, just so long as it's regulation, is the cure.
:)

Ideologue

More regulations means more jobs for J.D.s, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2011, 12:53:59 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2011, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 05, 2011, 12:36:40 PM
all things computer/internet related. I recall all sorts of crazy future predictions from that era.... most of them easily done and surpassed now. Except NO FLYING CARS! motherfucjker I want my flying car.
Personally i want a robot butler.

How about a Roomba, for a robot maid?  ;)

Like this?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2011, 08:58:54 AM
I wonder what percentage of people would be unable to function if internet suddenly disappeared. I still remember the time when you would do a research at a library. I suspect most of the people who are now in their early 20s don't.

That depends on what other activities are available.

On related news my router melt down last Friday and the boredom was such that I might or might not have finally resorted to piggybacking on some idiot's Wifi.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Eddie Teach

I'm surprised Siege doesn't find those robots too old and too fat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2011, 07:32:56 PM

They're just robo-maids for cleaning and housework.  What -are- you thinking, good sir?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 07, 2011, 08:00:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2011, 07:32:56 PM

They're just robo-maids for cleaning and housework.  What -are- you thinking, good sir?

Are they kosher/halal?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive