Yes - His Soul's Marching On!
22 (46.8%)
No - I'm a Puppet of the Slave Power
23 (48.9%)
Other - Gutless and Indecisive
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

jimmy olsen

Since John Brown has come up in the Oslo thread, and it's the 150 anniversary of the Civil War I think this is an appropriate question to ask.

EDIT: Dammit - Spelled Indecisive wrong. <_<
Can you fix that Neil?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Not.  Zero tolerance for political violence in a democracy.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2011, 08:11:40 PM

He was acting on behalf on the portion of the US that did not live in a democracy and in fact was literally enslaved by that democracy.  My answer is yes.  Considering the support the modern US has given to political violence in "democracies" (both with and without scare quotes), it has become the status quo.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Irrelevant.  1859 America was not a democracy.

Anyway, voted yes, enslavement is an evil that justifies and encourages any method of destroying it, and makes any aspect of its system a valid target.  Only practical concerns even dictate permitting surrender instead of extermination; no moral ones do.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

How far does this extend? Would you have also opposed a slave revolt?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on July 25, 2011, 08:56:45 PM
How far does this extend? Would you have also opposed a slave revolt?

Good question.  I have no quick answer.  At least not one that's consistent with my first post.

AnchorClanker

I'm not thriled with your editorializing of the options - but no, I do not support the revolutionary violence.
It has nothing to do with liking slavery, but liking rule of law and order.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Oexmelin

But then, slavery is used to beg the question: what do you do when law and order support an unjust regime, even if a democracy? You wait?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 25, 2011, 09:26:31 PM
But then, slavery is used to beg the question: what do you do when law and order support an unjust regime, even if a democracy? You wait?

You reason, you persuade.

Valmy

Quote from: AnchorClanker on July 25, 2011, 09:25:11 PM
I'm not thriled with your editorializing of the options - but no, I do not support the revolutionary violence.
It has nothing to do with liking slavery, but liking rule of law and order.

So laws should be supported even when they define people as property?  Tyranny is just so long as 51% of the population are fine with it?

Well actually sometimes it was less than 50%.  A few of the SOuthern States the majority of the male population were slaves.

But ok I guess it is Democratic and just so long as the laws say what minority gets to call all the shots.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."