Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: ulmont on July 25, 2011, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2011, 06:42:41 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on July 25, 2011, 06:10:53 PM
Yet when these immigrants arrived, the US was already overwhelmingly an acculturation machine - because, to this day, the main source of population where the British Isles. Now, the US has to deal with a different situation, not necessarily because of the latinos themselves, but, I would contend, with the existence of mass media, different socio-economic context, etc. Yet, it has the historic resources of the reading of its own past.

Is that accurate?

Not even close.  In fiscal year 2010, there were 1,042,625 people who became Lawful Permanent Residents (green card) in the United States.  Of those, only 88,743 were from Europe generally, and they didn't even bother breaking it out into UK / Ireland immigrants.
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/lpr_fr_2010.pdf

If you just mean "most USians are of British heritage, even now a couple hundred years later," that's wrong too.  From the 2006 data, only 46 of 300 million people listed British or Irish as ancestry.  Even if you throw in everyone who listed "American," "Scotch-Irish," or "Welsh," you're still well less than half.
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-ds_name=ACS_2006_EST_G00_

"Most" implies "greater than 50%" and I don't think that the majority of Americans are of English descent (though frankly I'm not 100% certain on that, and it becomes even more of a question if you expand it from "English" to "British"), but I don't think there's any doubt that more Americans have British ancestory than have any other national ancestory.  Maybe not a majority, but definately a pluralarity.

jimmy olsen

The death toll on the island has been lowered to 68? How did that mistake happen?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 26, 2011, 03:19:01 AM
The death toll on the island has been lowered to 68? How did that mistake happen?

Some victims got better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 02:11:20 AM
Quote from: ulmont on July 25, 2011, 06:53:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2011, 06:42:41 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on July 25, 2011, 06:10:53 PM
Yet when these immigrants arrived, the US was already overwhelmingly an acculturation machine - because, to this day, the main source of population where the British Isles. Now, the US has to deal with a different situation, not necessarily because of the latinos themselves, but, I would contend, with the existence of mass media, different socio-economic context, etc. Yet, it has the historic resources of the reading of its own past.

Is that accurate?

Not even close.  In fiscal year 2010, there were 1,042,625 people who became Lawful Permanent Residents (green card) in the United States.  Of those, only 88,743 were from Europe generally, and they didn't even bother breaking it out into UK / Ireland immigrants.
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/lpr_fr_2010.pdf

If you just mean "most USians are of British heritage, even now a couple hundred years later," that's wrong too.  From the 2006 data, only 46 of 300 million people listed British or Irish as ancestry.  Even if you throw in everyone who listed "American," "Scotch-Irish," or "Welsh," you're still well less than half.
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ADPTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-ds_name=ACS_2006_EST_G00_

Ok, but now what is it? I'd wager Latin America, right? And it seems like it is causing you guys a major headache.

I guess what Oex is saying is that Europe is getting entirely different type of immigrants - we mostly get Africans and Middle Easterners.

Mainly for ulmont: my understanding of what he was saying was that genes that arrived from the British Isles still constitute the majority of all genes in the United States.  This strikes me as plausible, and likely true.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Gups

Ideologue

Quote from: Gups on July 26, 2011, 03:29:01 AM
Is it possible to ascribe genes to a country?

Only if you take an arbitrary starting point for tracking them, as I am. ;)

Which is necessary; if you don't choose a starting point, we're all Congolese, or if you want to be really hard, we're from a tidewater somewhere lost to time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on July 26, 2011, 02:55:27 AM
Yesterday, most of Norway protested against the violence by coming together at six pm.

:mellow:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 03:29:33 AM

Only if you take an arbitrary starting point for tracking them, as I am. ;)

Which is necessary; if you don't choose a starting point, we're all Congolese, or if you want to be really hard, we're from a tidewater somewhere lost to time.
Out of Africa: Complete Replacement has been disproved!

Paleoanthropoly hijack!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP2_fGKHExk

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I wouldn't say that not shooting 20 people is a "mistake".  :rolleyes:

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 03:42:13 AM

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Gene Hackman - USA
Gene Kelly - USA
Gene Roddenberry - USA
Gene Wilder - USA
etc.

All Genes seem to be American.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 03:42:13 AM

You know what I meant. <_<

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 03:45:52 AM

Gene Hackman - USA
Gene Kelly - USA
Gene Roddenberry - USA
Gene Wilder - USA
etc.

Gene Simmons - Israel
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on July 26, 2011, 03:50:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 03:45:52 AM

Gene Hackman - USA
Gene Kelly - USA
Gene Roddenberry - USA
Gene Wilder - USA
etc.

Gene Simmons - Israel

So all genes are either American or Jewish. Figures.