And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on May 24, 2014, 06:02:52 PM
No comments on Champions League final?

Felt bad for Atletico, who were almost there. History will show this as a 4-1 loss but the game told a different story.

They were almost there, yes, but I'm not completely sure if they deserved it. They had a total lack of a plan B, they insisted on playing Costa when not fully fit and the physical abuse they've suffered under Simeone's exploits left them totally exhausted for the overtime. Granted, if the overtime was 3 minutes shorter they would have taken it, but...

The Larch

According to an interview with Benítez Liverpool's American owners originally thought that there was a draft in the Premier League and that there was no relegation.  :wacko:

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on May 25, 2014, 04:03:41 PM
According to an interview with Benítez Liverpool's American owners originally thought that there was a draft in the Premier League and that there was no relegation.  :wacko:
Presumably Gillett and Hicks, not Fenway though? :o

I enjoyed the game last night. Thought Atletico deserved to win at 90 minutes, but they looked exhausted and Real didn't.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2014, 04:08:28 PM

Given the timeline I presume he meant G&H, yes, although he didn't give names in the interview.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on May 25, 2014, 04:16:51 PM

Given the timeline I presume he meant G&H, yes, although he didn't give names in the interview.

He's talking about Gillette and Hicks - that's been the 99% likely rumour in Britain for several years (only 99% likely because none of the main parties have actually admitted to it - and because its possible that only one of the pair was guilty of this given their respective historical interest in Association Football.)

I'm fairly sure Benitez wasn't the first to suggest it.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on May 25, 2014, 05:02:51 PM

He's talking about Gillette and Hicks - that's been the 99% likely rumour in Britain for several years (only 99% likely because none of the main parties have actually admitted to it - and because its possible that only one of the pair was guilty of this given their respective historical interest in Association Football.)

He's not suggesting it as a rumour, he mentions meetings in which those topics came up.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on May 25, 2014, 05:10:09 PM

He's not suggesting it as a rumour, he mentions meetings in which those topics came up.

As I said, 99% likely rumour; he's in a position to know but is not a disinterested party.

Needs Hicks or Gillette to confirm it.

Is this a new interview by the way? I thought Benitez had said this originally soon after he lost his job at Liverpool.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Larch

Quote from: Agelastus on May 25, 2014, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 25, 2014, 05:10:09 PM

As I said, 99% likely rumour; he's in a position to know but is not a disinterested party.

Needs Hicks or Gillette to confirm it.

Is this a new interview by the way? I thought Benitez had said this originally soon after he lost his job at Liverpool.

It's an interview for a Valencian newspaper, and he was answering questions about how it was working under foreign sugardaddies, as Valencia has just been bought by a guy from Singapore. He answered something to the effect that it was important that the owners shared the European football culture, so that all levels of the club could be in the same wavelength, and at that point mentioned the disconnect between Liverpool's American owners and the rest of the club through a couple of anecdotes.

FunkMonk

Americans should own all Premier League clubs, IMO.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

An ultra humble club, Eibar, has just won promotion to the Spanish first division yesterday. Last year they were in 2ªB, the third band of Spanish footie, and historically they've been an elevator club between 2nd and 2ªB. The city has less than 30k people, and their stadium seats barely 5.000 people. They have always been run in an ultra-austere way and have zero debt and an iron will to keep every single payment obligation. Theoretically they should be the model club for how an economically healthy sports club has to be run...and yet they might be administratively relegated back to 2ªB if they don't manage to raise around 1'5 million € to fulfill some kind of economic requiriment to be able to participate in footie at the professional level. Mind boggling.

Liep

Football is about making money, not being responsible or some sort of role model.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on May 26, 2014, 02:36:18 AM
An ultra humble club, Eibar, has just won promotion to the Spanish first division yesterday. Last year they were in 2ªB, the third band of Spanish footie, and historically they've been an elevator club between 2nd and 2ªB. The city has less than 30k people, and their stadium seats barely 5.000 people. They have always been run in an ultra-austere way and have zero debt and an iron will to keep every single payment obligation. Theoretically they should be the model club for how an economically healthy sports club has to be run...and yet they might be administratively relegated back to 2ªB if they don't manage to raise around 1'5 million € to fulfill some kind of economic requiriment to be able to participate in footie at the professional level. Mind boggling.
First I've heard of this. Interesting. And lame
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Apparently Austria also won the Eurovision in 1966, and Real Madrid also won the European Cup that same year.

All money on England!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Oh and Atletico won La Liga.

FunkMonk

ESPN Classic is replaying the 98 World Cup Final right now.  :cool:

Zidane. :wub:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.