News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 30, 2014, 08:33:07 AM
We won the possession stat last season when Bayern twatted us 7-0 on the aggregate.

It's a means to an end, not an end by itself.

Tell that to Guardiola.  :P

celedhring

He seems to have lost the plot. I remember an interview with him right after our treble season, explaining the rough concepts of his system, that he ought to watch again - since he seems to have forgotten a lot of it.

The idea behind high possession is that if your opponent doesn't have the ball, he won't be able to create many chances, and if you have it you'll be able to create more - but that's the point, passing it sideways just to pile up the % defeats the purpose of the strategy.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on April 30, 2014, 11:13:53 AM
He seems to have lost the plot. I remember an interview with him right after our treble season, explaining the rough concepts of his system, that he ought to watch again - since he seems to have forgotten a lot of it.

The idea behind high possession is that if your opponent doesn't have the ball, he won't be able to create many chances, and if you have it you'll be able to create more - but that's the point, passing it sideways just to pile up the % defeats the purpose of the strategy.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

I thought this was interesting, from a Guardian article.

QuoteMourinho's approach to football has won him trophies (until this season), but his tactical plan for dealing with tough opponents is hard to love. Diego Torres, the El Pais journalist who followed Mourinho closely during his spell at Real Madrid, reports in his controversial biography The Special One that Mourinho's way of dealing with talented attacking teams was to play reactive football. He could call upon Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Mesut Özil and half a team of World Cup winners but, when the biggest matches came along, he reportedly asked his players to give up the ball, minimise their mistakes and take advantage of the opposition's errors. Torres reports that Mourinho had a seven-fold plan to deal with talented attacking teams:

1. The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors
2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition
3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes
4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake
5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake
6. Whoever has the ball has fear
7. Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger.

Mourinho is the anti-Pep, but we all already knew that anyway.

Liep

You can also make mistakes without the ball, it seems.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Hazard gives no fucks about defending  :lol:

Tamas

Hazard was clearly not ready for this match. Fickity fuckery fuck.

Sheilbh

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/inactive-keeper-leads-norwich-player-season-voting-145303494.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory
QuoteDisgruntled Norwich City fans have given a resounding thumbs down to their side's disappointing Premier League campaign by voting for reserve keeper Carlo Nash, who has never played for the club, as their Player of the Season.
:lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 30, 2014, 11:55:07 AM

QuoteMourinho's approach to football has won him trophies (until this season), but his tactical plan for dealing with tough opponents is hard to love. Diego Torres, the El Pais journalist who followed Mourinho closely during his spell at Real Madrid, reports in his controversial biography The Special One that Mourinho's way of dealing with talented attacking teams was to play reactive football. He could call upon Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Mesut Özil and half a team of World Cup winners but, when the biggest matches came along, he reportedly asked his players to give up the ball, minimise their mistakes and take advantage of the opposition's errors. Torres reports that Mourinho had a seven-fold plan to deal with talented attacking teams:

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes

This sounds like the ethos of Norway's much-maligned national team coach Egil Olsen. But essentially, the number 7 hits at least a nail on the head. Defending is easier than attacking, and setting up 7-8 players to do so demands less of your squad than one that has most of the team contributing in the attacking phase. Mourinho is a rather unappealing character in my opinion, but his tactics are as sound as they can get, although painful and irritating to watch. I prefer Brendan Rodgers, and I prefer the less cynical approach, but parking the bus is much easier than playing an attacking game.

Tamas

As far as I remember during his first two Chelsea years when they dominated the league (especially in the second), they held on to the ball and were defensive that way. So even if true it is certainly not a lifelong philosophy of his.

Anyways, I think last night's defeat was on him. Hazard was in no shape to play, and I am not even sure if he is motivated enough for the defensive plays needed against teams like Atletico, and I think the Sky commentators were right, Mourinho switched to the attacking formation too soon.

Liep

Awww, Valencia. That must be heartbreaking.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on May 01, 2014, 04:23:39 PM

Given how dirty they played after scoring the third goal they kinda deserved it. Props to Sevilla for not giving up.

Norgy

Quote from: Tamas on May 01, 2014, 09:32:09 AM

As far as I remember during his first two Chelsea years when they dominated the league (especially in the second), they held on to the ball and were defensive that way. So even if true it is certainly not a lifelong philosophy of his.

Anyways, I think last night's defeat was on him. Hazard was in no shape to play, and I am not even sure if he is motivated enough for the defensive plays needed against teams like Atletico, and I think the Sky commentators were right, Mourinho switched to the attacking formation too soon.

I think it was a matter of momentum, rather than tactics. Atletico's had momentum all season. And it's a powerful thing.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on May 01, 2014, 04:25:25 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 01, 2014, 04:23:39 PM

Given how dirty they played after scoring the third goal they kinda deserved it. Props to Sevilla for not giving up.

Ah good, didn't see it, as snooker was on.