News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on December 06, 2013, 01:55:14 PM
And USA.....well they should look at this positively. Get out of this group and they can rightfully claim to be a top tier team.

Ghana will rue the day they got put in our group.  Oh yes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2013, 02:33:29 PM
I have to say chanting U-S-A rolls off the tongue better than E-E-U-U

Oh damn, forgot to change that.  :lol:

dps

Quote from: Josephus on December 06, 2013, 01:55:14 PM
.And USA.....well they should look at this positively. Get out of this group and they can rightfully claim to be a top tier team.

And, if we can win the group, we get a Group H team in the round of 16.

mongers

Klaus Kinski will be turning in his grave, England play Italy in Manaus.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Pretty tough group for Germany, but Germany can beat all three teams on an average day.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

So, Alex Ferguson, the greatest football manager to have not coached a national side? :unsure:

FunkMonk

Manchester United should have just skipped Moyes and gone straight for Roberto Martinez.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 08, 2013, 02:37:34 PM
Manchester United should have just skipped Moyes and gone straight for Roberto Martinez.

How many weeks do think he's got left ? 

If he doesn't dramatically improve, I'd guess he'll not be in charge come the new year - Xmas coup ?

FunkMonk

Unless they finish in the top 6 or win a trophy I think Moyes will get shuffled out at the end of the season, but that will depend on what coaches are available next summer.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 08, 2013, 04:29:30 PM
Unless they finish in the top 6 or win a trophy I think Moyes will get shuffled out at the end of the season, but that will depend on what coaches are available next summer.

20 something years of Ferguson, with their ups and downs, and they'll only give one year to his replacement?

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 08, 2013, 04:29:30 PM

Given the modern nature of the game maybe so. Though that would be dumb, didn't it take ferguson a few years to find his feet? I recall reading there were calls to sack  him in the first few years.
I guess moyes will get 2 or 3 years to sort things out. If he doesn't.... It's too early for manager giggs so who knows
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

If they're languishing in 9th or 10th place or lower then I wouldn't think it unreasonable that he gets sacked. This is largely the same the same team that won the league last year so I'm making the assumption that at least a top 6 finish is within the scope of this team's abilities. Anything below that and it's likely he'll get sacked. I never expected Moyes to win the league this year, or even next year.  If they give him time, he and the team will be all the better for it. But things need to improve, and fast.

To be fair, a 6th place finish wouldn't be all that bad, considering the amount of competition this year. You have Arsenal, Manchester City, and Chelsea as serious contenders for 1st, with Liverpool, Tottenham, and Everton behind them. If you include a surprisingly impressive Southampton then 6th place honestly isn't bad at all for a team that just lost the man that was the heart and soul of the club.

FunkMonk

Also Manchester United suck  :nelson:

Liep

But did Man U come from being the most successful english team when Ferguson took over? And did he have to deal with spoiled multi-millionaire players? I think, because of Ferguson's long tenure, that the fans will be more forgiving of Moyes than the players will.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk