News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

Dear Lord!

Please let the Americans win. Just think how funny it would be to hear the lamentations of the Spanish afterwards.

Best regards!

Your friend and supporter Octavian

PS You rock!

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Alatriste

Quote from: Octavian on June 24, 2009, 05:12:05 AM
Dear Lord!

Please let the Americans win. Just think how funny it would be to hear the lamentations of the Spanish afterwards.

Best regards!

Your friend and supporter Octavian

PS You rock!

Ah, thou marble-hearted fiend, how unjust can you get? Have you ever seen us boasting and feasting because of our team wins? Blasts and fogs upon thee!  Hear me, Nature!

P.S. Who rocks? The Americans, the Spaniards, or the Valkyrs, that award victory? Were you addressing them in 'Please let the Americans win'? I'm afraid your intention is not at all clear...   :P

Viking

Quote from: Norgy on June 07, 2009, 09:43:07 AM
Pretty much, yes.

Which would be fine if there was a huge undergrowth of exciting talent on the U19s and U21s, but from what I've seen, the domestic footballing talent is at the lowest ebb since the 1970s.
The TV deals for the clubs in the first tier have given them money to buy mediocrity from all around the world, and then promptly shove all their younger developing players into the third tier teams, hampering their development and frustrating them by making it impossible to actually be a full-time player.

The present is bleak - the future is downright terrible. I hope the Mayans are right. If not, the next Euro/WC qualifiers will force me to change citizenship.

This is correct with the exception of one club. Untill last week (when he quit) there was only one full time scout working for a norwegian club. It seems that the best norwegian talent is found by foreign clubs, they are going abroad younger and younger. Players like Magnus Eikrem, Joshua King, Dag Alexander Olsen and Jo Inge Berget are on the junior squads of top English, Spanish and Italian clubs. These players will not be coming through the ranks of norwegian clubs.

Now, for norwegian clubs it is a better, cheaper and quicker option to buy a guy like Martin Fillo or Marek Sapara, or even useless idiot like Luton Shelton, than it is to try to develop a youngster like Per Skjelbred from the age of 16. In effect Norwegian football (like English, Spanish and Italian) has more money than local talent, so naturally there will be lots of player imports. That combined with a good quality foreign scouting network in norway means that young players go abroad or get sidelined by imported players.

The one club which has made efforts to develop youngsters is by far the richest in the country and already has 12 foreign players on contract where only 11 can be played, but then again only two of the norwegian players in the squad are not locally developed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Man I cannot wait to see my favorite and beloved Spanish crush those upstarts from yanqui pigdogland today.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Valmy's taint is strong. Let's see if it holds another half-time. It would be Spain's first loss since November 2006.

Tamas

Cerr

USA just scored again. Looks like the European champions are going out.

Valmy

Come on Spain you can still do this!  BEAT THOSE YANKEE FUCKERS!!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

That constant noise from the crowd sure is annoying. Yes I'm watching soccer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Cerr

When's the final for this tournament?

Valmy

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2009, 03:07:55 PM

Yes, it will drive me mad next year

Valmy

That brutal brutal man Michael Bradley was justly sent off for trying to kill one of my beloved Spanish heroes.

Cerr

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2009, 03:16:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2009, 03:07:55 PM
Yes, it will drive me mad next year
There's some talk of banning those horns from the world cup games next year. Hopefully it'll happen, they're really irritating.

Valmy

Now my only hope is that South Africa or Brazil can stop the American menace  :(