News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So UEFA thinking about scrapping Europa League. Thoughts? I'm not big on expanding the Champions League. I like it the way it is. But no doubt Europa is a poor cousin.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1243446/uefa-could-scrap-europa-league-in-2014?cc=5901
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

It's pretty good now. Small enough to only have good teams, big enough so that the teams from the smaller leagues still have a little chance of gaining access.

In other news, once Mighty Brøndby may have turned its downward spiral and have actually won some games. But as always overexcited hooligans don't play by police rules.

Comment from an observer: "Shameful, it looked like Turkey."
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Last season the later rounds of the EL produced more exciting games than the CL ones, to be frank.

PDH

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2012, 11:24:36 AM
Last season the later rounds of the EL produced more exciting games than the CL ones, to be frank.

That's why it must be gotten rid of - it undercuts The Show.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on November 29, 2012, 11:24:36 AM

Maybe. But the early rounds are a sideshow. Even the stands are empty quite frequently. And the managers of the good teams end up playing second string teams.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

I wonder if any teams have ever purposfully thrown games to get themselves in the EL rather than the CL- more chance of winning the trophy against Europe's third best teams than against Europe's first and second best.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on November 30, 2012, 01:50:53 AM
I wonder if any teams have ever purposfully thrown games to get themselves in the EL rather than the CL- more chance of winning the trophy against Europe's third best teams than against Europe's first and second best.

I doubt it. The money differntial is too huge. Last year Man Unt, knocked out in the group stages of the CL made around £25m from the comeptition. Athletico Madrid, winners of the Europa made about £8m

Gups

Away to Millwall in a south London derby on Saturday. Taking the boy. Hope we get back alive.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Stupid fucking Russian.

Benitez is even worse tactically than Di Matteo was. WTF

katmai

Yeah it was pretty sad, but really can't help but feel all warm inside watching Abramovich's petulance hoist him on his own petard.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: katmai on December 01, 2012, 09:51:41 AM
Yeah it was pretty sad, but really can't help but feel all warm inside watching Abramovich's petulance hoist him on his own petard.

Well yeah, that's my only conciliation, that the crazy Russian gets pwned for his stupidity.

However, I am afraid he will never learn. Crespo, Schevchenko, Torres, now the "I couldn't see much of Di Matteo on the telly before I appointed him" move... God damn.

Ed Anger

Torres looks like a chick with that hair.

Anyways, I enjoyed the bubbles on TV. That West Ham mascot needs some work.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

I wonder if Gups survived Millwall or is still being chased throughout the streets by F troop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive