And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

nah, they're not showing it here. What's the score?

ah...found it. 0-0 halftime. Nice. I see Harrisburg beat NY.  :lmfao:

I guess it's not taken too seriously is it?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Eric Wynalda coaches an amateur team sponsored by Fox Soccer?  :lol:

Also, is that Sounders' training facility or something? Why are they playing there and not CenturyLink?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

yeah that is their training place and where the women's team plays.

Josephus

Toronto FC fire head coach Winter. Mariner now is the sixth coach in seven years.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Villarreal gets relegated from La Liga
they hire new coach yesterday with plans to introduce him tomorrow
QuoteOn Wednesday, 54-year-old Manuel "Manolo" Preciado was announced as relegated Villarreal's new manager and the man tasked with getting the club back in La Liga as quickly as possible. A press conference unveiling Preciado was scheduled for Friday, but early Thursday morning Preciado suffered a heart attack and passed away.

The Larch

It was a real pity, the guy was super cool, a true character of the league. It's a terrible loss for Spanish footie.

FunkMonk

Admiral Yi

:( He was great in High Chapparal.

FunkMonk

Was reminded today that ten years and two days ago this happened: http://youtu.be/qyNA2ue9QeA (USA 3-2 Portugal)
Brian McBride and young Landon Donovan as a front two :wub:

I remember getting up at like 3 AM and watching this on the huge TV in the dorm living area. There was a group of us going wild and waking everybody up. It was worth having to slog through the day's orientations on two hours of sleep.

The only other time I felt like that was when this happened: http://youtu.be/ALJu7YPMNBI (USA 1-0 Algeria)

I love soccer :wub: :wub:

I'm getting old.  :(

PDH

I remember some folks on EUOT getting quite upset that the USA could win a big game after the USA vs Portugal match.  Oh, memories.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Euros are very protective. I remember the last worldcup when the USA tied England, the brits were all like, "feck we're shite, can't even beat the Americans."

While they were right about England being shite,  I think Euros tend to underestimate the Americans whom I would rate as a second-tier European team, meaning not quite up to Germany, Spain standards but just as good as..say, Belguim or Denmark. And better than england.
Civis Romanus Sum

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josephus on June 08, 2012, 07:28:10 AM
While they were right about England being shite,  I think Euros tend to underestimate the Americans whom I would rate as a second-tier European team, meaning not quite up to Germany, Spain standards but just as good as..say, Belguim or Denmark. And better than england.
You're right.  But there'd be the same angst if we lost to a second-tier Euro team, despite being one ourselves.  In terms of protectiveness (and arrogance and self-pity) you should maybe choose a different team than England :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

katmai