News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Michael Bradley is slowly becoming my favorite American player.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

Scoring makes thing seem a bit brighter - of course the US has no possession and no ability to move it around that much, but that was a nice run up the left from one of our Germans.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Michael Bradley has become a man in Italy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

4-1, could have easily been 5-3.  The US finishing was unlucky, but the Brazilian counter is superb as always.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

FunkMonk

4-1 sucks but I'm liking the look of this team and I'm optimistic for the qualifiers.

That said, we need to cream Canada 5-0.  <_<

PDH

I would have been far happier with even 4-2 had that last header not hit the bar.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

PDH

This team can get to challenge the likes of Mexico, occasionally beat a world power, but right now it is the center defense that hurts.  I like the fullbacks and midfield now, and given time the forwards will just become better.  All those US soldiers fucking German girls 20 years ago means that there is a wealth of talent that will be coming the US way.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

FunkMonk

I'm just happy the US had decent periods of possession and threatened to score on several occasions. 

On the other hand, the defense needs an overhaul. The marking was disgusting.

PDH

Well, for all his slowness, Cherundolo can't miss minutes - that last drives came when he was out, and the US won't see too many Neymars.  Johnson is a revelation, he will be stellar.  the middle is too weak and slow and dumb. 

Still, in the last 20 minutes the USA did press far better, with far better control.  Dempsey changed the game dynamics, and when he is back healthy the offense will be far better.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

katmai

Gooch is getting old, and our best Central Defender is still recuperating from ACL (Omar Gonzalez)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

I'm not sure what's to be done with the center of defense, honestly. Boca and Gooch are getting on and prospects like Ream, Cameron, and Castillo aren't looking that great.

FunkMonk

In local news, my lower league club slipped past former MLS champion Houston Dynamo in the US Open cup.  :showoff:

QuoteThe San Antonio Scorpions made history Tuesday night when they defeated the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer with a 1-0 shutout in the third round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The win is the first in Scorpions history against an MLS franchise.

Hans Denissen's penalty kick in the 51st minute proved to be enough for the Scorpions in a match that was physical from kickoff to the final whistle.

The victory, in front of a crowd of 7,164 at Heroes Stadium, helped the Scorpions improve their unbeaten streak in league and tournament play to eight games.
http://sanantonioscorpions.com/team-news/item/308-scorpions-defeat-dynamo

PDH

Quote from: katmai on May 30, 2012, 09:22:50 PM
Gooch is getting old, and our best Central Defender is still recuperating from ACL (Omar Gonzalez)

I wish more American GIs had fucked women who would give birth to towering central defenders with speed who were not quite good enough to make the German team.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 30, 2012, 09:06:50 PM
4-1 sucks but I'm liking the look of this team and I'm optimistic for the qualifiers.

That said, we need to cream Canada 5-0.  <_<

I don't think it will be that high, but yeah, you'll win. I'll be at the game. If you watch it on TV look for me. I'll be the guy in the red shirt.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2012, 10:03:27 PM
I don't think it will be that high, but yeah, you'll win. I'll be at the game. If you watch it on TV look for me. I'll be the guy in the red shirt.

Top it off with a giant Maple Leaf hat.  :)