News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

I semi follow Liverpool for the history grit.. and Agger,

I semi follow Arsenal for its fast football, Fabregas, their youth academy, and to a little extend, Bendtner.

I semi follow Aston Villa, because they always seems to get the short end of the stick, and because laursen did so fucking well there before he got perm injuries and retired.

I loath Man C and somewhat chelsea for their cash and what it did for actually BUILDING a team, and from over here Man C is seen as a bandwagon club because ppl. only noticed them when they started buying their way to hte top.

My oldest son follow Man U for their determined, and steady performance, and for Roony and Nani
My youngest follow Liverpool ofr somewhat the same reasons i did, and for Torres when he was there.

They are 12 and 9 ;)

V

The Larch

I pity the poor Scandi kids of the mid-90s that were lured into supporting Blackburn Rovers...

Tamas

I started supporting Chelsea when it wasn't cool.

Liep

Quote from: Warspite on March 12, 2012, 07:25:25 PM
Barcelona: I heard this Messi guy is quite good, but I don't know who Pele or Cruyff are.
So you can't support Barcelona if you know who Cruyff is? :p I got on that bandwagon when Laudrup, Koeman, Stoitchov and Romario were the shit.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2012, 04:04:30 AM

Wow.
Before Mr moneybags Chelsea were not just uncool but chronicly uncool, one of the least cool teams in the country.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2012, 04:41:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2012, 04:04:30 AM

Wow.
Before Mr moneybags Chelsea were not just uncool but chronicly uncool, one of the least cool teams in the country.

They grew on me because of Championship Manager :P But I liked them. Chronic underachievers, but could deliver very cool surprises against big teams.

And I reall wasnt interested in the bandwagon teams.

Liep

Whenever I meet someone who says he's a Chelsea fan they always follow with: "yeah, but I started following them before.. you know".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on March 13, 2012, 05:25:43 AM
Whenever I meet someone who says he's a Chelsea fan they always follow with: "yeah, but I started following them before.. you know".

:lol: But I DID!

And I can understand that need to comment because it has become a bandwagon team (altough they may be sucky enough this last couple of years to change that), while a lot of foreign supporters I guess got attached to them because they were decent, but without the usual bandwagon-suspects circling around them.

Gups

The last time Chelsea were cool was in the early/mid 70 when they had Ron "Chopper" Harris, Alan Hudson and Peter Osgood.

They then became an underperforming club followed by racist thugs before becoming an overresourced club followed by johnny-come-lately foreigners and kids. Throughout they have been thoroughly uncool.

Tamas

katmai

Tamas rooting for the racist team, color me shocked!

Been an Arsenal fan since early 90's
And of course root for Athletic Bilbao too.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Gups

Quote from: Valdemar on March 13, 2012, 04:01:22 AM
I loath Man C and somewhat chelsea for their cash and what it did for actually BUILDING a team, and from over here Man C is seen as a bandwagon club because ppl. only noticed them when they started buying their way to hte top.

It's a real shame about City. When they were shit they were brilliant. They did failure with such elan and humour you couldn't help but like them. I remember going to their London pub with a City suppoprting mate when they won the play off final to get promoted to the Prem, haven't laughed so much in my life.

Now they're just another club with overpaid players, owners with more money than sense and a sense of entitlement. Even the food for corporate hospitality is shit (contrast with Chelsea's which is absolutely, michelin star level,  brilliant).

The Larch

I have a soft spot for City because their colours are the same as my team's. That's why I also have an uneasy intuitive affinity for Lazio, despite their naughtyness.  :ph34r:

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2012, 02:28:49 AMI've started to notice lots of new Spurs fans the last year or so.  You could jump on that bandwagon early-ish and hopefully.

I always liked the Spurs (go go the Jewish team), since maybe the mid 80s; I'd always go for Man City too, back when they were in the 2nd division - it was a nice counterpoint to all the people who always went for Man U and Liverpool back in the day. Not sure how I feel about the bandwaggoning, though I suppose I'm nowhere near hardcore enough of a supporter to have a strong opinion.

What's behind all these new Spurs fans? Just that the club is placing better, or is there more to it?

Gups

Spurs has always been a very well supported club in London and the south-east, just not much abroad. They play decent, attractive football, are run very well and have some really decent players. Shame their fans are a bund of whining twats and the ground is such a pain in the arse to get to.

IMO there are only two good reasons for supporting a football club (1) your Dad makes you (2) they are your local professional team.

It's a lottery. And if, like me, you end up with a shitty club it's an early lesson in life that you will have to put up with misery, incompetence and mediocrity punctuated with moments of sheer joy and camaraderie. 

No problem with furriners liking English teams and enjoying them, but frankly none of you are supporters no matter how much you know about the club, how long you've been following them and how many comedy jester hats in club colours you've got. If you don't go to the games, you ain't a fan.