Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2012, 07:06:15 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2012, 07:03:33 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2012, 06:29:50 PM
I need a bandwagon to jump on. Before Timmay jumps on it and shits on the floormats.

Bandwagon team are as follows:

Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal

Choose wisely.

No greasy Spaniards.

Well, the only non Spanish team of that group that is still competing for the Champions League is Chelsea, and they might get kicked out by Napoli this week.  ;)

Ed Anger

I don't watch those other leagues or that UEFA crap. I watch the English one. I can at least get a chuckle from the shirtless trash in the crowd and understand most of the names on the jerseys.

Except for Andy Carroll. He is a whiny baby.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: Zanza on March 12, 2012, 10:55:30 AM
Will be interesting to see whether Podolski can keep up his great form with Arsenal. Is Mertesacker any good? He doesn't seem to be a starter for Germany anymore.

Mert snapped a ligament on a shitty pitch a few weeks ago, so he's out for the rest of the season. Otherwise, he divides Arsenal fans. i'm in the "he's very good" camp: calm, collected defending. Excellent positioning. He's a continental defender, relying on technical ability rather than PASSION and GRIT!!!oneone.

What is disappointing is that he is not as good in the air as you might hope. Further, he struggles on occasion in a high defensive line. But, with a fit Arsenal team, he's a top class defender when the manager can choose between him, Vermaelen or Koscienly depending on the team you are playing, as he's more of a stopping defender rather than playing cover.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

I need a bandwagon to jump on. Before Timmay jumps on it and shits on the floormats.

Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Choose wisely.

Depends what bandwagon you want:

Man Utd: I'm from southeast Asia and got into football in the mid 1990s.
Barcelona: I heard this Messi guy is quite good, but I don't know who Pele or Cruyff are.
Real Madrid: Di Stefano was better than Messi. OR - I think CR7 is hot
Chelsea: I am an African, and love Drogba.
Liverpool: I started watching football in 1981.
Arsenal: I love beautiful football, but am averse to actually winning things. OR - I moved to London as an investment banker and can afford an executive box at a shiny stadium.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

The mothership (ESPN) wants Americans to watch either Man U or Liverpool. Since they are usually showing one of those teams.

Liverpool is just too hard to watch sometimes. Carroll is a lump of shit, and Suarez has buck yellow teeth (on the HD channel). It is like a tree and a jackass playing together.

Warspite

Fucking hell, I could have been at the game tonight.

Christ, look at the run Vermaelen makes: http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xpenxj

It's nice to be mugging other teams for a change.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

Quote from: Warspite on March 12, 2012, 07:25:25 PM

Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Choose wisely.

Depends what bandwagon you want:

Man Utd: I'm from southeast Asia and got into football in the mid 1990s.
Barcelona: I heard this Messi guy is quite good, but I don't know who Pele or Cruyff are.
Arsenal: I love beautiful football, but am averse to actually winning things. OR - I moved to London as an investment banker and can afford an executive box at a shiny stadium.

What about City? Not much of a bandwagon there?

Warspite

Manchester City: "I'm actually from Manchester"

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on March 12, 2012, 07:31:27 PM
Fucking hell, I could have been at the game tonight.

Christ, look at the run Vermaelen makes: http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xpenxj

It's nice to be mugging other teams for a change.

Vermaelen and his bombing runs :wub:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2012, 07:30:27 PM
The mothership (ESPN) wants Americans to watch either Man U or Liverpool. Since they are usually showing one of those teams.

Liverpool is just too hard to watch sometimes. Carroll is a lump of shit, and Suarez has buck yellow teeth (on the HD channel). It is like a tree and a jackass playing together.

Man United = Constantly winning everything = Alabama/Auburn/SEC team
Liverpool = Living in the past = Notre Dame

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2012, 08:50:28 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2012, 07:30:27 PM

Man United = Constantly winning everything = Alabama/Auburn/SEC team
Liverpool = Living in the past = Notre Dame

AINT NO WAY I"LL WATCH NOTRE DAME. FUCK YOU BRADY QUINN. WARGHARBL.

FunkMonk

Josephus

Quote from: katmai on March 12, 2012, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2012, 05:23:06 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 12, 2012, 02:52:49 PM
Weird, several Americans showing real interest and enthusiasm about football, including ed anger :gasp: 

I grew up on the game and played it throughout my youth, and watched it back when the only games available were on Spanish-language television or the World Cup.

Yep, I've been playing soccer since I was 6, and remember watching the '82 World Cup.

I remember the 74, though only vaguely (I was six then). The first one I got into was Argentina 78
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

QuoteMan Utd: I'm from southeast Asia and got into football in the mid 1990s.

Also common amongst foreigners.

Leeds: I started watching football in the 70s. Woops.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2012, 02:04:34 AM
Also common amongst foreigners.

Leeds: I started watching football in the 70s. Woops.
Norgy's a Nottingham Forest fan and I've met a couple of others who had a similar problem :lol:

I've started to notice lots of new Spurs fans the last year or so.  You could jump on that bandwagon early-ish and hopefully.
Let's bomb Russia!