News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Will be interesting to see whether Podolski can keep up his great form with Arsenal. Is Mertesacker any good? He doesn't seem to be a starter for Germany anymore.

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 11, 2012, 04:20:22 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2012, 03:31:54 PM
I see that L.A. played their full squad pretty much for 90 minutes in a 3-1 loss to Salt Lake. Whcih means they will be tired for the Wednesday game v. Toronto second leg Champions League Q/F game.  :)

I'm guessing Arena doesn't care much about CONCACAF Champions League if he's running his first team out for 90 min two days before the final leg in a quarterfinal tie they're losing.  :lol:

he does though. In fact he played his first team for the first leg---three days before the season opener. :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 11, 2012, 03:22:37 PM
Watching MLS' first game on the re-branded NBC Sports network. A few points:

• The Brit commentator is pretty good.

He was the Commentator for Sounders last year.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 11, 2012, 03:22:37 PM
The Brit commentator is pretty good. The American color commentator is not so good, but tolerable. I didn't like him on Fox Soccer, either.

The Brit is doing play by play or color?  They should have a Yank doing play by play and a Yank (or maybe a Kraut) doing color.

mongers

Weird, several Americans showing real interest and enthusiasm about football, including ed anger :gasp: 

And yet there are several Brits on this forum who're not so interested in our national game.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on March 12, 2012, 02:52:49 PM
Weird, several Americans showing real interest and enthusiasm about football, including ed anger :gasp: 

And yet there are several Brits on this forum who're not so interested in our national game.  :hmm:

Don't get over enthused. I need something to occupy my sports time until September.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2012, 02:56:51 PM

Don't get over enthused. I need something to occupy my sports time until September.

Yeah, I can see that, especially as how you've done procreation to death.   :P

FunkMonk

I grew up on the game and played it throughout my youth, and watched it back when the only games available were on Spanish-language television or the World Cup.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

Soccer, yes it is soccer, has been one of my "other sports" for quite a while.  I do not like the local team (I shun everything Denverish other than the airport), but have followed such for a while.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

I need a bandwagon to jump on. Before Timmay jumps on it and shits on the floormats.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2012, 05:23:06 PM

I grew up on the game and played it throughout my youth, and watched it back when the only games available were on Spanish-language television or the World Cup.

Yep, I've been playing soccer since I was 6, and remember watching the '82 World Cup.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2012, 06:29:50 PM
I need a bandwagon to jump on. Before Timmay jumps on it and shits on the floormats.

Bandwagon team are as follows:

Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal

Choose wisely.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Yeah, Timmay could kill the onwards march of the Premiership stone dead,
"Up the Arzenalls", "Come on The Red Devils give ManU a thrashing", "Tottingham are bound to beat The Celtics."

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2012, 07:03:33 PM

Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Choose wisely.

Many of those aren't exactly in great shape at the moment.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 12, 2012, 07:03:33 PM

Manchester United
Barcelona
Real Madrid

Choose wisely.

No greasy Spaniards.