News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on March 10, 2012, 08:09:19 AM
QPR just got robbed of clear goal, if hockey can have the technology to tell if ball is in net, why can't Soccer?

* I know there are couple of companies working on it, just can't believe there isn't anything in place already.

It's not a matter of availability, it's a matter of FIFA being stubborn bastards in not allowing any of it to be used.

Zanza

Ed Anger

The QPR-Bolton game bores me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

QPR just got robbed of clear goal, if hockey can have the technology to tell if ball is in net, why can't Soccer?

* I know there are couple of companies working on it, just can't believe there isn't anything in place already.

call me a Luddite, but I'm against it. It works both ways in the end, soemtimes bad calls go against you, sometimes they don't. I'm not against having another linesman behind the net as they do in UEFA games, but I'm no fan of technology having a hand in the game.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Quote from: Josephus on March 10, 2012, 09:44:50 AM

call me a Luddite, but I'm against it. It works both ways in the end, soemtimes bad calls go against you, sometimes they don't. I'm not against having another linesman behind the net as they do in UEFA games, but I'm no fan of technology having a hand in the game.

The entire point of the game is to have the ball cross the line, and it is the single greatest thing to be cheated out of if it's not called. There is absolutely no excuse these days for not having technology determines that instantly. Unlike a foul, the ball crossing the line is not a matter of interpretation of the rules.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2012, 09:22:55 AM
The QPR-Bolton game bores me.

The second half of Everton-Spurs was fun. I guess the commentator's mics were too close to a certain section of unruly fans. You could hear them hurling expletive-laced insults at the players.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Quote from: Warspite on March 10, 2012, 02:18:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 10, 2012, 09:44:50 AM

The entire point of the game is to have the ball cross the line, and it is the single greatest thing to be cheated out of if it's not called. There is absolutely no excuse these days for not having technology determines that instantly. Unlike a foul, the ball crossing the line is not a matter of interpretation of the rules.
Agreed. But it's worked fine for 150 years without it. Yes every now and then you get a bad call (England 2010 v. Germany) but every now and then you get a good call. (Engalnd 1966 v. Germany). It works both ways. It doesn't bother me, the way it is.
Technology only tends to slow down games and remove momentum (see hockey). If you have one ref, two assistants and one behind the goal line, odds are you will catch most issues.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Quote from: Josephus on March 10, 2012, 02:34:24 PM
Agreed. But it's worked fine for 150 years without it.

The game has changed utterly in 150 years. If we had this sort of inertia from the start, we'd not have:
- Substitutions
- The offside law
- Yellow and red cards

QuoteYes every now and then you get a bad call (England 2010 v. Germany) but every now and then you get a good call. (Engalnd 1966 v. Germany). It works both ways. It doesn't bother me, the way it is.

The opinion on the 1966 goal is inconclusive, but the 2010 decision was madness. Bad goal decisions have cost teams unfairly in tight games.

QuoteTechnology only tends to slow down games and remove momentum (see hockey). If you have one ref, two assistants and one behind the goal line, odds are you will catch most issues.

Technology works fine in plenty of sports; goal line technology doesn't even have to stop football matches, you can just request a review of the decision at the next break in play.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Why does it need to stop play at all?  Doesn't hockey have a system that reads when the puck crosses the goal mouth and sounds the bell instantly?

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 10, 2012, 04:35:09 PM
Why does it need to stop play at all?  Doesn't hockey have a system that reads when the puck crosses the goal mouth and sounds the bell instantly?

No. Or at least I don't think so. There's a guy behind the net who does that.

REgarding Warspite's comment about waiting till there's a break in play. God, no. they do that in hockey. If after, say, five minutes of play the ball goes out and they do a review and decide it's a goal...what happens to that five minutes they just played? Does the clock go back? They don't do that in football. Do they add five minutes at the end? And this doesn't slow the game down?  I can assure you even if technology does come into it, (and it probably will), it won't happen that way. Most likely the ref will call a review there and then. Which makes the best sense.

I accept the agruments in favour...I'm just an old-fashioned Luddite.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

We definitely need goal line detectors yes.
Sure, there are good calls and bad calls, etc.... but....the luck of bad decisions shouldn't be part of the game.
It should be a simple matter to have some wee cameras in the goalposts that tennis style give a little confirmation beep to the ref and linesmen when the ball crosses the line.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Goal line detection could be instant. If the ball crosses the line, the referee gets a sign via radio. No need to review. It's not like the system would be used very often anyway as most goals are very clear.

FunkMonk

Watching MLS' first game on the re-branded NBC Sports network. A few points:

• New York are still fucking terrible. I feel sorry for Henry.  :(
  • Dallas plays well and they have a decent team. I like em.
  • The production values are quite good. I appreciate NBC actually trying to make soccer look slick and interesting to Americans. 
  • The Brit commentator is pretty good. The American color commentator is not so good, but tolerable. I didn't like him on Fox Soccer, either.
  • Bullet points make this post more meaningful. Fact.

Apparently it was free vuvuzela day in Dallas. :bleeding: :bleeding:

Josephus

I see that L.A. played their full squad pretty much for 90 minutes in a 3-1 loss to Salt Lake. Whcih means they will be tired for the Wednesday game v. Toronto second leg Champions League Q/F game.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on March 11, 2012, 03:31:54 PM
I see that L.A. played their full squad pretty much for 90 minutes in a 3-1 loss to Salt Lake. Whcih means they will be tired for the Wednesday game v. Toronto second leg Champions League Q/F game.  :)

I'm guessing Arena doesn't care much about CONCACAF Champions League if he's running his first team out for 90 min two days before the final leg in a quarterfinal tie they're losing.  :lol: