News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2012, 06:01:22 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for that dumb penalty at the end United would be toast for the return leg.

Yes, United got really lucky there.

Athletic simply outplayed United everywhere. They seemed to win most of the 50-50s, they ran hard and fast at United, pressed in groups when needed, and transitioned very quickly once they got the ball back. And they just didn't stop attacking. It wasn't unusual to see six Athletic players in United's box. The passing was exquisite, played very direct without having to hoof the ball up aimlessly.

I've only seen Athletic play one other time, their game earlier this season against Barca at San Mamés, when they played on a lake instead of a field.  :lol: Good stuff all around.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

QuoteToronto is in America?

I just knew someone would try and pick at that. Even considered writing N.American....but its the American league, not the N.American league. :p

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2012, 09:10:44 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 08, 2012, 08:57:42 AM
Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2012, 07:23:42 AM
I was at the Toronto game. With 47,000 others. Great atmosphere. Shame about that last goal. Oh well.

Wow. You get that many at American games now? :blink:

Yes but there is an asterix. (And Toronto being in Canada, as an aside.)

Toronto FC holds their games at BMO field which can hold around 21,000 and frequently does. When this game was scheduled back in December the fear was it would be cold, snowy, etc so it was moved to Rogers Centre, a domed stadium used by the baseball team. The capacity is double BMO. There was a fair bit of marketing done and cheap upper level tickets sold to get the 47,000.

So...this was a one off "Lets go see the big game!" event?
As...if they normally fill a stadium of 20,000 but are capable of getting in 40,000 then their stadium is really a bit too small.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

No, I'd say it was a one-off. Montreal did it about three years ago when they filled Olympic Stadium for a game against a Mexican side, and the feeling was if they could do it, we could.

What happened was that when this game was scheduled in December, many felt that the smaller 21,000 BMO field, an outdoor stadium, would be too cold in Toronto, in early March for a game. Chances are it could snow causing delays, postponements, etc.

So the decision was made to move it to the indoor stadium. Then the challenge was made. It should be noted that these Champions League middle-of-the-week games don't typically draw larger crowds at all. The return match in L.A. will be capped at 7,000 due to L.A's agreement with the stadium, which is on a campus, not to interfere with student parking.  :huh:

As it turned out yesterday was a balmy 16C in Toronto.

PS. It's called Major LEague Soccer not the American League.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 08, 2012, 07:04:45 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2012, 06:01:22 PM
Yeah, if it wasn't for that dumb penalty at the end United would be toast for the return leg.

Yes, United got really lucky there.

Athletic simply outplayed United everywhere. They seemed to win most of the 50-50s, they ran hard and fast at United, pressed in groups when needed, and transitioned very quickly once they got the ball back. And they just didn't stop attacking. It wasn't unusual to see six Athletic players in United's box. The passing was exquisite, played very direct without having to hoof the ball up aimlessly.

I've only seen Athletic play one other time, their game earlier this season against Barca at San Mamés, when they played on a lake instead of a field.  :lol: Good stuff all around.

They're a really exciting team to watch, young, talented and hard working, with probably the best pure striker there has been in Spain for ages. I have high hopes for them this year, surely a CL spot is within reach.

Ed Anger

Speaking of stadiums, they tried to have the Columbus Crew play in Ohio Stadium. But it looked so pathetic when they could only fill a few of the 100,000+ seats. Plus the stadium needed some work, so out they went.

So they built Crew stadium, which is much better venue for soccer. And they had a billionaire backing the construction.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2012, 04:27:27 PM
Kat, are you watching the ManU - Athletic?

I wish it was on here on channel i get, but alas none of the Europa games are on.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on March 08, 2012, 08:05:32 PM

They're a really exciting team to watch, young, talented and hard working, with probably the best pure striker there has been in Spain for ages. I have high hopes for them this year, surely a CL spot is within reach.

Yeah that is what I've heard, wish had chance to see them from here.

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 08, 2012, 08:32:06 PM
Speaking of stadiums, they tried to have the Columbus Crew play in Ohio Stadium. But it looked so pathetic when they could only fill a few of the 100,000+ seats. Plus the stadium needed some work, so out they went.

So they built Crew stadium, which is much better venue for soccer. And they had a billionaire backing the construction.

A big part of why MLS is finally become profitable in last 8 years is the owners/teams playing in soccer specific stadiums.

Seattle is an anomaly in playing in NFL facility and I know there is worries how the field will hold up this fall as it is home to Sounders (MLS), Seahawks (NFL) and Huskies (NCAAFB).

And yeah Jacob check out Whitecaps if you can, should be fun team to see, I'm part of Sounders FC Alliance.

QuoteThe Sounders FC Alliance was established at the request of minority owner Drew Carey. Based on the fan association at FC Barcelona, members of the Alliance have the ability to vote on the removal of the General Manager and on other team decisions. Season ticket holders become automatic members, while non-season ticket holders may buy into the Alliance for a fee. Membership benefits include voting privileges, an invitation to the annual meeting and other team perks. Members can also be elected to the Sounders FC Alliance Council by receiving at least 25 nominations from other members on an annual basis. The first vote on retaining or replacing Sounders FC General Manager Adrian Hanauer is scheduled to be held in November 2012, following the club's fourth season. Drew Carey is the chairman of the Sounders FC Alliance.

FunkMonk

The closest MLS teams to me are Houston and Dallas, but I don't feel like driving four hours to see a game and then drive back. I wish there was a closer team.

There is a new NASL (second-tier on the pyramid) team starting its first season here in April. I'll probably go to at least a few games.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 08, 2012, 12:43:55 PMHaving never been to an MLS game, I can't honestly say. However, the teams that seem to have the most excited supporters seem to be the two northwest clubs, Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers, which are populated largely by white folk. When the Sounders play on TV it's basically a sea of white hipsters wearing neon green.  :lol:
:lol:

Interesting.  The impression I've got from US TV and stuff is that football is kind of the hipster sport.  A bit like cycling's become over here.  Is that how it is?  How'd it happen?

Would certainly explain the Pacific Northwest - a NYT football correspondent tweeted that he might have to write a long piece about football in that area which would be interesting.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 09, 2012, 12:28:31 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 08, 2012, 12:43:55 PMHaving never been to an MLS game, I can't honestly say. However, the teams that seem to have the most excited supporters seem to be the two northwest clubs, Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers, which are populated largely by white folk. When the Sounders play on TV it's basically a sea of white hipsters wearing neon green.  :lol:
:lol:

Interesting.  The impression I've got from US TV and stuff is that football is kind of the hipster sport.  A bit like cycling's become over here.  Is that how it is?  How'd it happen?

I wouldn't go as far to say that soccer is seen as a hipster sport, but it is growing in popularity among demographics associated with hipsters.

Whereas soccer is seen broadly throughout the world as a sport for the urban poor or working classes, it's seen here as a largely suburban, middle-class, predominantly white sport (i.e. soccer moms), with exceptions for certain immigrant communites like first- or second-generation Hispanic-Americans.

In the main, soccer is played by middle- and upper-class kids whose parents have enough money to get them on a club soccer team year after year, which I would say explains some of the the hipster demographic. Add the fact that soccer is much more chic nowadays, and that it's seen as exotically "European", and I think that explains the hipster preoccupation with the sport.

Most kids drop soccer in high school to focus on American football and basketball. Soccer is becoming much more popular now, though, so this is slowly changing. The main problem is that American professional soccer doesn't pay nearly as well as professional football/basketball, so essentially kids grow up playing soccer but switch to other sports when they get older. The growing academy system, which focuses exclusively on developing young talent to feed to the professional leagues, at the expense of the traditional high school/collegiate system, is supposed to change this.

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on March 08, 2012, 11:24:55 AM
I have no idea the breakdown though i did just see the other day for 18-34 year old Latinos it is 2nd only to NFL in popularity.

Well that is shocking.  They sure do not show that by showing up to soccer games.  Maybe they just enjoy thinking about it at home.

Generally following soccer over here is pretty much for hipster white people.  At least that is who is most vocal in their support.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

I don't see that at all Valmy.

Josquius

Most kids drop soccer in high school to focus on American football and basketball. Soccer is becoming much more popular now, though, so this is slowly changing. The main problem is that American professional soccer doesn't pay nearly as well as professional football/basketball, so essentially kids grow up playing soccer but switch to other sports when they get older. The growing academy system, which focuses exclusively on developing young talent to feed to the professional leagues, at the expense of the traditional high school/collegiate system, is supposed to change this.
I dunno, I think football is the best option thinking purely in terms of money.
Yeah, the top leagues of American sports pay very well but the amount of positions there are really super limited.
With football meanwhile...there's at a lot of leagues around the world which pay very good money.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

QPR just got robbed of clear goal, if hockey can have the technology to tell if ball is in net, why can't Soccer?

* I know there are couple of companies working on it, just can't believe there isn't anything in place already.