News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on February 15, 2012, 04:27:16 PM
Arky!  I'm gonna cry after watching this performance tonight.

That may have been the worst performance since the 4-3 at Blackburn this season.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on February 15, 2012, 10:42:39 AM
I agree. Both Rangers and Celtic are big clubs with big fanbases. A few years of sky money and the ability the attract players and they'd be challenging for top 4 places.

But what's in it for the English clubs? Two teams woudl have to drop out of the ELP to make space for the Glaswegians. The top 5 or 6 will have more competition for CL places. The costs of policing will go through the roof (remember Rangers in Manchester a few years ago).

No club in the EPL will vote to admit Celtics or Rangers.

I'd think the money to be had from pseudo-internationals whenever the Scottish teams visit could be pretty decent.
It'd be another few million potential premier league customers too- perhaps small fry though for the premier who are regularly cracking big foreign countries.

Were it to happen I don't think a team would drop out, they'd just play a year or two with 22 teams then another year or two with 21 then get back to 20, steadily rippling the changes down the league.

Maybe they could be allowed into the Championship first? Those teams....would be a bit more enthusiastic about the gate receipts an international derby would bring. And though somewhat insulted the old firm could console themselves with it meaning just another few years from being one of Europe's big boys.

I don't see it happening sadly, its too late for that, but...a British (isles?) league would be awesome.
If only Wimbledon had moved to Dublin....
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Aren't there already Welsh teams in the EPL?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2012, 08:05:58 AM
Swansea were promoted this season.  I think they're the first.

But I think all of the Welsh teams (like Cardiff and Swansea) were in the English Leagues from the start.  I know Wrexham were at least.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 16, 2012, 08:14:20 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 16, 2012, 08:05:58 AM
Swansea were promoted this season.  I think they're the first.

But I think all of the Welsh teams (like Cardiff and Swansea) were in the English Leagues from the start.  I know Wrexham were at least.

So when were Welsh leagues created, then? I guess than English leagues predate them, if I read you right.

Gups

The Welsh premier league was formed in the early 90s. The biggest Welsh teams are in the English leagues. The semi-pro ones have a choice between the English non-league system and the Welsh Prem League.

It's really difficult to get between north and south Wales so Welsh teams have always played English neighbours.

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on February 16, 2012, 08:56:23 AM
The Welsh premier league was formed in the early 90s. The biggest Welsh teams are in the English leagues. The semi-pro ones have a choice between the English non-league system and the Welsh Prem League.

It's really difficult to get between north and south Wales so Welsh teams have always played English neighbours.

Before the 90s all Welsh teams competed in English leagues? I guess that the Scottish league was created roughly at the same time than the English one, though.

Gups

Well it depends how far up the pyramid they were. Amateur teams play in local leagues, based around a town or county or district.

Teams like Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham and Newport have played in the full professional leagues in my memory. Onoly Cardiff and Swansea are theer now. Wrexham and Newport are both in the Blue Square prem which at the top of the non-league pyramid and is largely professional. A few other Welsh teams play in lower English leagues.

Ed Anger

Chelsea-Bolton is boring me. I demand dangerous tackles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2012, 10:38:57 AM

It's Fox Soccer's CLASH OF GIANTS!!!11
:zzz

Milan and Juve ought to be a better game.

Tamas

Italian football  :yawn:

But yeah the Chelsea game was quite horrible apart from the end result.

FunkMonk

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 25, 2012, 11:39:02 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 25, 2012, 10:38:57 AM

It's Fox Soccer's CLASH OF GIANTS!!!11
:zzz

:lol:

I enjoyed Man City's curb stomping of Blackburn.

The Larch

Ed Anger