News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Warspite on February 11, 2012, 01:03:43 PM
THIERRY HENRY! THIERRY HENRY! THIERRY HENRY!
<_<
Fecking typical, its old school Sunderland come again.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

katmai

QuoteLONDON (Reuters) - A Manchester United fan aims to block rival Manchester City's "goals of football domination" by selling off thousands of parcels of a site earmarked by the world's richest club for a 100-million-pound training complex.

Businessman Shaun O'Brien has divided the land at his vehicle recovery company, OB Trucks, near City's Etihad Stadium, into 18,500 square-foot plots for sale in a bid to disrupt a proposed council order to make him sell it.

He was selling the plots for 250 pounds each through website, Unite Against the City, to "ardent Reds and anybody else that feels strongly about our David & Goliath situation," in order to make the club negotiate individually and fairly for each plot, the website said.

The sale had attracted buyers from around the world, including the United States and Spain, since the website went live on February 6, O'Brien told Reuters, declining to reveal the sales figures. "We're very close to fulfilling the 5,000 minimum."

The campaign was "to prevent Manchester City's attempts to acquire our land in Eastlands, Manchester, in order to further their goals of football domination", O'Brien wrote on the website.

Local newspaper Manchester Evening News said O'Brien had refused a one-million-pound offer from City to leave the site, stalling the club's bid to redevelop a run-down, 80-acre plot near their stadium.

O'Brien said City had offered him 200,000 pounds for the land for the past two years, though they had said they would pay another 750,000 pounds for moving and expenses.

"But it's just not enough," he said. "I've been here for 15 years, I had no intention to sell (the land)... As a business who want my land to further their business they should come and sit down, negotiate and we'll hack out a figure, whereas all along they've said we'll give you 200,000 pounds or we'll get the council to CPO you," he said.

A compulsory purchase order has now been issued by Manchester City Council and the club to try to force O'Brien to sell at market value.

Manchester City hold the title of the world's richest club, gained after they were bought by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan of Abu Dhabi three years ago
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

So for the sake of football rivalry he's trying to fuck over regeneration in his city?
Wonderful.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Rangers gone belly up? Gone into administration
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

According to the chart I should support West Bromwich, I think. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2012, 10:09:24 AM
So for the sake of football rivalry he's trying to fuck over regeneration in his city?
Wonderful.

It's pretty obvious he's trying to bolster his negotiating position and the anti-Man City spin is simply a bit of marketing where he sells small plots of land at something along the lines of 20 times market value.

It's an absolute con. The Council will be able to CPO the land anyway (albeit with a degree of administrative inconvenience). The compensation they willl have to pay to anyone who ownes a square foot of isolated land will be a nominal sum - a pound maybe since a square foot of land has zero market value.

Fortunately for the owner, it sounds as if Mancs are as gullible as Mackems.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2012, 11:29:33 AM
According to the chart I should support West Bromwich, I think. :unsure:

I should support the Blue Lion on the top left. Chelsea?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

i'm the wolf one at the bottom right
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

also what team is the swimming pope-head sperm?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

The wolf is...well Wolves (Wolverhampton United).

I think the spermy thing is Bolton Wanderers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Wanderers_F.C.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Wow. I haven't been following things in Glasgow at all, sounds like crazy developments there.

Hopefully this will be the start of the unwinding of the Scottish league and their joining the English league.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2012, 07:32:46 PM
Wow. I haven't been following things in Glasgow at all, sounds like crazy developments there.

Hopefully this will be the start of the unwinding of the Scottish league and their joining the English league.

Yeah, Neil would become gay before that ever happens. Scotland would rather have a one-team league than join the perfidious English.
Civis Romanus Sum