And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 04:33:23 PM
Quote from: Warspite on February 05, 2012, 04:08:04 PM
It should not be hard to get QPR or Fulham tickets unless it's a derby game. Have a go via their websites, if you have no luck let me know as I can ask some friends who are fans if they have any ideas. Tottenham / Man Utd will sell out for sure.

This reminds me - my dad out of nowhere has become a big soccer fan (probably because its the one sport he didn't have to cover in his days as a sports reporter), and has chosen Fulham to be his favourite team (almost certainly because him and my mom ran "Fulham Castle Bed and Breakfast" for a number of years on Fulham Ave).

Someone needs to give me some material I can use to belittle Fulham.   :ph34r:

Its supporters are known as Cottagers, which can be taken to say that they look for anonymous gay sex in public lavatories.

And they have a statue of Michael Jackson outside their stadium, because he was a buddy of the club's president, Mohammed Al-Fayed, owner of Harrods and father of Dodi al-Fayed, of Lady Di poshumous fame.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2012, 06:27:08 PM
And they have a statue of Michael Jackson outside their stadium, because he was a buddy of the club's president, Mohammed Al-Fayed, owner of Harrods and father of Dodi al-Fayed, of Lady Di poshumous fame.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

What a crappy statue.
And yes, certainly on the cottagers. :lol:

Fulham...odd choice of team! They're just not top league material. A total non-entity lower league team in my childhood and for most of their history, just getting up to the premier on account of their rich owner.

Who're QPR/Fulham playing at the time you're looking at?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

QPR v Everton
Fulham v Wolves

So it's bound to be a shit game, but my brother and I have never attended a Premier League game before. Tottenham v ManU would be awesome of course, but it's too late on Sunday to reach our flights home.

Gups

Go to Fulham. Quaint, historic stadium on the river, nice seats. Loftus Rd on the other hand is a terrible stadium - no leg room, in a less interesting part of town.

However, Fulham are playing on the Sunday so don't know if that affects you.

katmai

If it was me I'd pick Fulham as well, just to get chance to watch Clint Dempsey playing.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Warspite

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2012, 04:33:23 PM
Quote from: Warspite on February 05, 2012, 04:08:04 PM
It should not be hard to get QPR or Fulham tickets unless it's a derby game. Have a go via their websites, if you have no luck let me know as I can ask some friends who are fans if they have any ideas. Tottenham / Man Utd will sell out for sure.

This reminds me - my dad out of nowhere has become a big soccer fan (probably because its the one sport he didn't have to cover in his days as a sports reporter), and has chosen Fulham to be his favourite team (almost certainly because him and my mom ran "Fulham Castle Bed and Breakfast" for a number of years on Fulham Ave).

Someone needs to give me some material I can use to belittle Fulham.   :ph34r:

A large number of Fulham fans suddenly became Chelsea FC fans (which is actually closer to Fulham Broadway than Fulham FC is) when Chelsea became good. Beyond that, the statue - which is as bad in real life as it is in that photo.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on February 08, 2012, 02:55:30 PM
Fabio Capello quit.  :huh:

He deliberately did this to scupper my 'neighbour's' chance of becoming the next England manager.   :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2012, 06:50:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 06, 2012, 06:27:08 PM

Excellent material. :rubshands:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Quote from: mongers on February 08, 2012, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Zanza on February 08, 2012, 02:55:30 PM
Fabio Capello quit.  :huh:

He deliberately did this to scupper my 'neighbour's' chance of becoming the next England manager.   :mad:

Mourinho for England boss  :bowler: :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

I've a feeling Capello was looking for any excuse to leave. Much as I'm an England fan, and have been since I was born the summer they won the World Cup, I'm predicting England to bow out with a 0-3 record in the Euros.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

True, it does make sense for him to leave now over taking a stand than to be kicked out for failing yet again (though wasn't he going to quit post-euro cup anyway?)
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

I remember him saying he was going to leave after the Euros, yeah.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/840428-fabio-capello-will-absolutely-quit-as-england-manager-after-euro-2012

Quote from: Josephus on February 08, 2012, 05:35:35 PM
I've a feeling Capello was looking for any excuse to leave. Much as I'm an England fan, and have been since I was born the summer they won the World Cup, I'm predicting England to bow out with a 0-3 record in the Euros.

I'm inclined to agree. Seems like this argument over Terry is as good an issue as any to leave. Wash his hands clean of the whole ordeal and let his successor deal with it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.