News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on January 04, 2012, 10:48:33 PM
A hell of a kick he has. And he joins the rare club of keepers who has scored in the premier league, I read it was only 3 others.

To be fair the wind carried it farther than it might have otherwise gone. I feel a little bad for the Bolton keeper, but not too bad - his side won the game.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Was this Tuesdays games?
I do remember the commentators mentioning bad wind during Sunderland's one.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

No it was a Wednesday game.

Question: Why do you Brits play like ten games while everyone else is on a mid-season break? Tradition or something?

Josquius

Winter holidays are when everyone is traditionally off work and wanting to enjoy themselves, it makes business sense to have the games when your audience is most willing and able to see them.
Boxing day and new years games are tradition yeah, these are 'extras' though in addition to the regular Saturday games- due to christmas being a Sunday this year the Saturday games were moved about though.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Cool.  :bowler:

I'm certainly not complaining. The only negative is waking up earlier more often during the week to catch a kickoff.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2012, 11:15:58 PM
Was this Tuesdays games?
I do remember the commentators mentioning bad wind during Sunderland's one.
Wednesday's Everton v Bolton.  Aside from that, it wasn't one for the ages.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2012, 10:47:27 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 04, 2012, 10:42:55 PM
USA number one Tim Howard scores a goal from his own penalty box during open play. http://youtu.be/jfXxBrLcKus

:)
:lol:
That's amazing.
He doesn't seem too happy about it though, lol.

He's just classy. He knows he embarassed the hell out of another goalkeeper.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Interesting note for this weekend: Tomorrow's Arsenal v. Manchester United will be the first English Premier League game in history to be shown live on American free-to-air television.  :bowler:

Josephus

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 21, 2012, 07:41:02 AM
Interesting note for this weekend: Tomorrow's Arsenal v. Manchester United will be the first English Premier League game in history to be shown live on American free-to-air television.  :bowler:

The new British invasion is beginning.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Don't expect a good match. Arsenal have eleven injuries to Manchester's ten - most of whom in each case are first-teamers.

Of course, the FA would tell you that these injuries have nothing at all to do with fixture congestion...
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on January 21, 2012, 09:35:32 AM

Don't expect a good match. Arsenal have eleven injuries to Manchester's ten - most of whom in each case are first-teamers.

Of course, the FA would tell you that these injuries have nothing at all to do with fixture congestion...

As long as it's not 2-8 :bleeding:

Sheilbh

Is it true that Piers Morgan is the 'expert' pundit? :despair: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Warspite

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 10:56:51 AM

No, he's an idiot - like most football pundits actually, so perhaps that isn't a hinderance. The only football pundits I read these days are the handful that actually understand the tactics of the game, like Michael Cox and Jonathan Wilson.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 22, 2012, 10:56:51 AM

Yes, and he was terrible. Absolutely insufferable during half-time. After the final whistle I immediately turned the TV off to save my ears from bleeding. The game itself was suffering enough.

Sheilbh

It's a shame you didn't get City v Spurs.  Which is some comment on Manchester and North London.
Let's bomb Russia!