News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 04, 2011, 11:24:21 AM
Brazilian legend Sócrates, "O doutor da bola", star of the '82 and '86 World Cups, passed away, aged 57, due to complications from alcoholism.

There are no players like him anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkq4fVKzibY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYWhIJMLm34

:(

I always liked that he was a medical doctor besides a football pro.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

The commentators keep saying that if the defender gets the ball, it's not a foul. but that's not the case. you cant go in dangerously and take the ball.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Increasingly the case these days.
Why I remember back in the day if you could take the ball but still fuck up your opponent then it was win-win....
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

For its last CL group game Barcelona has just fielded a team made up mostly with players from the academy team, if it wasn't for a couple of veterans its average age would be around 20. They still won 4-0. Against BATE Borisov from Belarus, but still...

Warspite

The "but he got the ball" argument is spouted by people who haven't actually read the rules, which specifically caution against reckless behaviour, rather than failure to get the ball. Playing the man rather than the ball is just one of the criteria that indicate unsporting or reckless play.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josephus

Buh bye Manchester.

Both of you.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

So Manchester United go out of a group consisting of Benfica, Basel, and Otelul Galati?  :huh:  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Did anybody see Lyon - Zagreb? Allegations of match fixing as Lyon needed to win as high as possible and shot 7 goals within less than half an hour in the second half...

Warspite

Quote from: Zanza on December 08, 2011, 02:08:05 PM
Did anybody see Lyon - Zagreb? Allegations of match fixing as Lyon needed to win as high as possible and shot 7 goals within less than half an hour in the second half...

Dinamo owner/chairman is a corrupt bastard so really I wouldn't be surprised.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Jacob

szmik

Quote from: Zanza on December 08, 2011, 02:08:05 PM

Match fixing already happened with Dinamo Kiev about 15 years ago. How many times it wasn't caught though?
And this time it's so obvious....

Too bad I'm Ajax fan.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Maladict

It's the two disallowed Ajax goals that bug me most. Get the damn cameras in already.

szmik

Quote from: Maladict on December 09, 2011, 01:54:18 PM
It's the two disallowed Ajax goals that bug me most. Get the damn cameras in already.
which is why they won't do it
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

The Larch

Villa just got severely injured in a silly game of the Fifa club world cup against a Quatary team. He broke his tibia, will be sidelined for several months and might not be able to recover in time for the Euro Cup.  :(