Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 23, 2011, 11:38:18 AM
MLS expansion draft today.

Who will the Impact pick?

So exciting.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2011, 11:42:27 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 23, 2011, 11:38:18 AM
MLS expansion draft today.

Who will the Impact pick?

So exciting.  ;)

We need a team! Hopefully, no one name Adu makes it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Here you go GF

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/23/ching-mapp-headline-montreal-expansion-draft-picks

The Montreal Impact threw a few surprises into their picks in Wednesday's Expansion Draft, selecting several marquee names, including Houston's Brian Ching and Philadelphia's Justin Mapp.

Ching has gone on the record to say he would not move to Montreal if picked. How that will play out remains to be seen, and Montreal coach Jesse Marsch said he is still open to various options.

Mapp was one of two high-profile Union players on offer, the other being Freddy Adu. On Tuesday, Marsch indicated that Adu was a possibility, but in the end, chose his teammate, who does not come with as high a salary and is more established in the league on the field.

Elsewhere, Marsch chose to bolster the backline, acquiring San Jose centerback Bobby Burling, Columbus left back Josh Gardner, Sporting KC left back Seth Sinovic, Vancouver right back Jeb Brovsky, and Chivas USA right back Zarek Valentin.

The selection of Colorado midfielder Sanna Nyassi provides some good speed on the flanks, and Real Salt Lake's Collen Warner is an up-and-coming attacking midfielder who showed flashes in 2011.

The final pick, Seattle right back James Riley, was shipped to Chivas USA immediately in exchange for forward Justin Braun and midfielder Gerson Mayen.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Wait....so....in american mls they draft and have free choice of players from other teams? :blink:
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2011, 06:44:53 PM
Wait....so....in american mls they draft and have free choice of players from other teams? :blink:

Expansion Draft. If it is like other sports leagues, each team will designate players that can be drafted off their roster so that the new teams can fill its roster up.

It is a good way of teams to ditch underperforming playes, relics and overpaid crybabies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

I admittedly don't watch much MLS. The only players I recognize on that list are Ching and Adu.  :blush:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

How's Chivas USA doing for sponsorship deals?

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2011, 06:44:53 PM

Yeah as Ed said; they only do this when there's an expansion team, ie a new team entering the league. All the other teams have to leave a certain number of players unprotected and the entering team, in this case Montreal, can pick from these unprotected players. As said, normally you leave players you weren't keen on re-signing anyways...or  player whom you gamble the other team can't afford.

For instance of the seven players left unprotected by Toronto, six were released today following the draft. The seventh, Julian De Guzman, was a "DP", a designated player, whose salary Montreal could ill afford right now, or wouldn't want to pay, and they didn't pick him.

Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

In other news...anyone watch the Barca-Milan game? Great game.
Civis Romanus Sum

The Larch

Gary Speed, Wales' current national coach and footie legend was found dead at his house this morning. Apparently he hanged himself.

He was only 42.

Josquius

Yeah, I saw that, really surprising. Wales were doing rather good lately weren:t  they?
██████
██████
██████

Octavian

Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2011, 10:47:18 PM
Yeah, I saw that, really surprising. Wales were doing rather good lately weren:t  they?

Presumably killing himself had nothing to do with how well or bad Wales does in football. Just a guess but i'm sure other factors played a role in his decision to do the swinging negro..
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Josquius

Your work life going badly and failing your country would sure a huge factor in deciding to commiting suicide.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2011, 07:34:22 AMYour work life going badly and failing your country would sure a huge factor in deciding to commiting suicide.
True but I think footballers and football managers are used to that sort of pressure.

Having said that Wales were doing really well.  It's very sad :(
Let's bomb Russia!