Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on November 09, 2011, 06:17:59 PM
;)

I'll retract that.

The average MLS game attracts more people than the average NBA or NHL game.

Well, soccer has much more potential for bigger attendances than sports that have to be played in arenas. The biggest basketball courts seat around 20.000 people or little more, that for a footie stadium is an average sized stadium.

FunkMonk

This was from The Guardian's Joy of Six today and jesus christ how do you do that :cry: :cry: http://youtu.be/UkxEbVk5xZ0
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 11, 2011, 09:15:23 PM
This was from The Guardian's Joy of Six today and jesus christ how do you do that :cry: :cry: http://youtu.be/UkxEbVk5xZ0
Wow, that's pretty much perfect.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Zanza

All teams for Euro 2012 are now qualified. The pots for the draw on 2 Dec are:

Pot 1: Ukraine, Poland, Spain, Netherlands
Pot 2: Germany, Italy, England, Russia
Pot 3: Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Sweden
Pot 4: Denmark, France, Czech Republic, Republic of Ireland

Ukraine and Poland being seeded means that groups A and D are much easier than groups B and C which will have Spain and the Netherlands in them.

Valdemar

Quote from: Zanza on November 16, 2011, 04:40:18 AM

Ukraine and Poland being seeded means that groups A and D are much easier than groups B and C which will have Spain and the Netherlands in them.

These dual nation host tournaments should remove the free spots and free seeding from the hosts. With only 16 nations there are some strange places on that list. And some even stranger nations not partaking due to Poland and Ukraine taking up the spots.

V

Zanza

The hosts not having to qualify is okay with me as a tournament without the host team would be strange. However, I wouldn't seed them in the first pot. Just seed them with everybody else and then shuffle the groups so that the play at home. Shouldn't be that hard.

Duque de Bragança

Possible group of death :

Spain, Germany, Portugal, France
:zipped:

Next Euro will have more countries qualifying so no more cutthroat group phases anyways.

Valdemar

Yeah, I can't decide if I think that is a good idea or not. next one after that will have 24, thats half the 53 members of the UEFA, meaning qualifying would be easier, but also that there will be too little "Win or Die" in the competition.

I still think Denmark should take portugal or swedens places.. neither finished first in the group. I DO know its the last three tournaments that counts, but still...

V

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 16, 2011, 06:26:02 AM

Possible group of death :

Spain, Germany, Portugal, France
:zipped:

Next Euro will have more countries qualifying so no more cutthroat group phases anyways.

Somebody on P'dox mentioned the "Group of debt", with Spain, Italy, Greece/Portugal and Ireland.  :lol:

Or swap Italy with Germany and have every team ultra-motivated to beat the krauts, in order to avenge their dire straits.  :ph34r:

Zanza

Quote from: Valdemar on November 16, 2011, 06:30:20 AM
Yeah, I can't decide if I think that is a good idea or not. next one after that will have 24, thats half the 53 members of the UEFA, meaning qualifying would be easier, but also that there will be too little "Win or Die" in the competition.
It makes the qualification so much less interesting for the big teams though.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on November 16, 2011, 06:32:20 AM
Somebody on P'dox mentioned the "Group of debt", with Spain, Italy, Greece/Portugal and Ireland.  :lol:

:D
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valdemar

Quote from: Zanza on November 16, 2011, 07:07:01 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on November 16, 2011, 06:30:20 AM
It makes the qualification so much less interesting for the big teams though.

Even for the smaller ones if you only need third spot to go to play off games as 1 and 2 qualify directly

V

Josephus

I think it works best the way it is. That's my problem with the world cup where the first round produces a series of snore-fests with teams that shouldn't be there. With the Euros, which I've always felt is the best international tournament, part of its appeal was its short, every game matters, no minnows feel.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

MLS expansion draft today.

Who will the Impact pick?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.