News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on September 06, 2011, 08:50:51 PM
2-0 over Norway, both goals by Bendtner.

Anything but a win seemed impossible judging from the tabloids, but I actually expected the Norwegians to pull home a draw like they usually do.

Hope he does so well in the domestic league. God knows we need it.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on September 07, 2011, 05:14:57 AM
You still need to beat Iceland!

Better call back Ricardo Carvalho then  :lol:

clandestino

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 07, 2011, 06:08:52 AM
Better call back Ricardo Carvalho then  :lol:

Not gonna hapen. He's out for good.

mongers

England beat Wales 1-0 in a very lacklustre performance, I'm conflicted.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

So I guess Fernando Torres won't be playing much longer?

http://youtu.be/Nyt0HKjINno
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 18, 2011, 12:26:44 PM
So I guess Fernando Torres won't be playing much longer?

http://youtu.be/Nyt0HKjINno

Nah, it's really sad. He had a good game, he gave both assists in this week's CL game, and he scored the team's only goal against Manure.

Warspite

APart from that miss, Torres had an outstanding game. And everyone has already forgotten the sitter missed by Rameires.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Zanza

There is currently an interesting case in Swiss courts: FC Sion v UEFA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15008765.stm
QuoteUefa's 53 national member associations have given their unanimous backing to the governing body over its decision to expel Sion from the Europa League.

Celtic were reinstated to the group stages when Sion were thrown out for naming five ineligible players in their play-off win over Neil Lennon's side.

The Swiss side have since been to their country's courts to argue their case.

But Uefa's members say a club refusing to accept the rules of the competition "should not participate in it".

Sion's legal challenge to Uefa's ruling is being viewed as a threat to its authority and that of the world governing body, Fifa.

Uefa's emergency panel last Tuesday dismissed a ruling from the district court in Vaud that Sion should be allowed back in the competition, from which they were thrown out on 2 September.

Two days later the same court ruled that the opening round of Europa League Group I fixtures, including a 2-0 defeat for Celtic at Atletico Madrid, were invalid.

But in a statement released on Wednesday called "Declaration of the 53 Uefa member associations regarding the FC Sion case", the members have hit back at the Swiss club.

The statement said: "The 53 national associations of Uefa have today unanimously declared their support for Uefa president Michel Platini, the Uefa executive committee, the Uefa general secretary, the Uefa disciplinary bodies and the Uefa administration for their determination to uphold the statutes and regulations of football.

"The European national associations call upon both Fifa and the Swiss FA to urgently take concrete steps to uphold the statutes and regulations of Fifa, as Uefa has done.

"The independent sports justice system is the best guarantor of equality and fairness for all participants in sports.

"The European national associations declare that any member of the football family which refuses to accept the rules of the competition should not participate in it."

After Uefa's disciplinary body threw out Sion's initial appeal last week, the club announced it would initially seek compensation from Uefa of more than 4m euros and potentially tens of millions in the long term.

"Uefa believes that it rules the world," a Sion spokesman said at the time.

The UEFA operates under Swiss civil law so just outright ignoring a Swiss court order could really backfire. This has the potential to be another Bosman case. As football is no longer really an amateur sport but rather a business and UEFA has a monopoly on that business, they have to tread rather carefully here. If they lose their exclusive jurisdiction that would revolutionize professional sports in Europe as we know it, much more than Bosman.

Warspite

Won't UEFA just pack up its bags and go somewhere else? After all, like with the IOC, national governments are quite happy to bend over with £££ and bespoke legislation everytime a major sporting event or body comes knocking on the door.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

HVC

how can you bitch about being kicked out of a tournament when you don't follwo the rules? it's like a player picking about the ball and rushing into the net to score a goal.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Quote from: HVC on September 22, 2011, 03:27:00 PM
how can you bitch about being kicked out of a tournament when you don't follwo the rules? it's like a player picking about the ball and rushing into the net to score a goal.
And thus American football was born!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Danes in the throes of upsetting the Portuguese  :)
France might capitulate in a key match to Bosnia.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

why is it always the damn danes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.