And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 27, 2011, 07:07:34 AM
Quote from: PDH on August 26, 2011, 04:09:11 PM
The US national team is once again harvesting the fruit of US servicemen and gullible fraulein hookups!

Talking about Chandler?  :D
Fabian Johnson too.  Thank god for the US not teaching about birth control, we impregnate the world!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Warspite

Subsaharan Africa is nuts for premiership football. I once had an hour long conversation about Arsenal with a South African driver. The detail they know is intense.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 08:15:01 AM
Man City seem to be more popular with your actual Manchester blokes.

May Hod have mercy on them for yet another season of nothingness.

You know what really irks me?
That Forest appointed The Worst England Coach Ever.
The one that can make even losing 0-1 to the US in England's world cup debut seem like a small matter.

Sshteve and Forest is a match made in heaven of could've-beens.
And why do I still follow then? Why on Earth? The last time they were remotely like their old selves was during Paul Hart's ill-fated reign. Football is a bucket of emotions you can't get away from, unfortunately. So I sit here and Google Forest-West Ham live.

PDH

You follow them because you are a fan, and being a fan means that (unless you are a goddamn bandwagon tim) your team will hurt you, wound you, rip your heart out, leave you at the altar...and every now and then make you feel better than anyone else in the entire world.

That's why.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on August 28, 2011, 06:09:47 AM

The one that can make even losing 0-1 to the US in England's world cup debut seem like a small matter.

And why do I still follow then? Why on Earth? The last time they were remotely like their old selves was during Paul Hart's ill-fated reign. Football is a bucket of emotions you can't get away from, unfortunately. So I sit here and Google Forest-West Ham live.

Football is life, some make the mistake that life is football.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: PDH on August 28, 2011, 08:46:26 AM
You follow them because you are a fan, and being a fan means that (unless you are a goddamn bandwagon tim) your team will hurt you, wound you, rip your heart out, leave you at the altar...and every now and then make you feel better than anyone else in the entire world.

So true (except the make you feel better part). :weep:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Norgy on August 28, 2011, 06:09:47 AM

Well you a true fan and that is what true fans are like. Has Forest ever done anything except when Old Bighead was in charge? Chap I once knew was a devoted supporter of Scunthorpe Utd, followed them to all sorts of windswept unfashionable grounds throughout the land, I respected him for it  :cool:

Josephus

Man Utd 8 ARsenal 2

I saw two games today for a total of 16 goals. :huh: :rolleyes:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on August 28, 2011, 12:42:53 PM
Man Utd 8 ARsenal 2

I saw two games today for a total of 16 goals. :huh: :rolleyes:

Flipped it on right before Walcott's goal and thought 3-1 was reasonable and went back to playing Deus Ex. Turned it back on forty minutes later to see it 7-2 and after Young's second goal I got up to take my migraine medication.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

I saw the Man Utd score via a picture someone put on facebook, I thought it was some sort of edit. Then I checked the BBC site. Wow.

In other news- why the hell can`t Sunderland score.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 28, 2011, 11:37:49 AM

Well you a true fan and that is what true fans are like. Has Forest ever done anything except when Old Bighead was in charge? Chap I once knew was a devoted supporter of Scunthorpe Utd, followed them to all sorts of windswept unfashionable grounds throughout the land, I respected him for it  :cool:

A third place in 1967 when Man Utd were really magic and a third place in 95. Two FA cups, the one trophy that evaded Clough. But both won decades ago.
There is some irony to the "One-Nil To The Famous Team" chants when Forest play the likes of Scunny, Leyton Orient and assorted teams with funny names. Which was the famous team, again?

Man U was really on fire yesterday. What a game.
Forest, well, not so much.

The Larch

Quote from: Cecil on August 22, 2011, 03:19:52 PM
So just wtf is happening in the southern leagues this year? Hearing a lot about strikes and whatnot.

There was a players' straike over here, initially called for the first two weeks but they reached an agreement last week and we had games this weekend. Italy announced a similar players' strike last week IIRC. Turkey postponed the beginning of the season for one month due to an investigation regarding arranged matches, and there's a similar investigation going on in Greece but they've started already AFAIK.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 07:46:52 AM
When I was in Morocco, back in 1980, they used to televise ManU's games. They may have stopped since of course, i get the impression that the standard of African football has improved over the years.

They're crazy for the Spanish league (or rather, for Real Madrid and Barcelona, but you get the idea) down there. The country stops when there's a game between the two of them.

That was what Owl, the bloke that used to post in P'dox back in the good old days (tm) and a mancunian himself said, that City is the team that the people who are actually from Manchester support and that United's fans are mostly bandwagoners from the rest of Britain and abroad rather than people from Manchester and its environs. IIRC he said that there were probably more fans of United in Ireland than in Greater Manchester.

The Larch

BTW, I picked up "The Damned United" to read as my holiday book this year, and I'm halfway it. Has anyone else read it or watched the movie? What do you think of it? Is it a realistic portrayal of footie in England in the 70s? I read that some of the players that are still alive aren't very happy with their portrayals.

Cerr

Quote from: The Larch on August 29, 2011, 05:52:14 AM
BTW, I picked up "The Damned United" to read as my holiday book this year, and I'm halfway it. Has anyone else read it or watched the movie? What do you think of it? Is it a realistic portrayal of footie in England in the 70s? I read that some of the players that are still alive aren't very happy with their portrayals.
I haven't read the book but I enjoyed the film version.

John Giles was very critical of it. He sued the author of the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Giles#Media_portrayals_and_successful_legal_action

QuoteGiles successfully sued the author of the book, David Peace, who printed the work in 2006, from which the film was made. His reasons for pursuing legal action for libel were as Giles said of Peace's The Damned Utd: "His book was outrageous. I'm portrayed as the scheming leprechaun. He [Peace] had me in conversations with Clough that never happened. It made Clough out to be a wild man whereas he wasn't drinking then. I didn't get on with him but I found him highly intelligent. Peace said the novel was fiction based on fact, trouble is, people assume it's the official version. The movie was a misinterpretation of the misinterpretation that was the book!"