News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2011, 01:56:24 PM
I watched Liverpool Sunderland the other night.

I'm curious if you guys would agree that the Premier League has a higher proclivity for goons and argy-bargy than the other pro leagues.

The English game has always been more physical than the continental and South American version; it's actually a surprisingly constant difference. Then again, not surprising; in the UK, it and rugby evolved from common ancestor codes, and so the physical element abided.

Hence the English meme of 'diving foreigners', etc.

I think for the most part the difference is fine, though I lean towards prefering the less physical game.

THe problem is idiotic English fans who think "passion" and "hard work" are substitues for actual technical skill, and think leg-breaking tackles are "part of the game".
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Barrister

Quote from: Warspite on August 18, 2011, 02:08:12 PM

I'm curious if you guys would agree that the Premier League has a higher proclivity for goons and argy-bargy than the other pro leagues.

The English game has always been more physical than the continental and South American version; it's actually a surprisingly constant difference. Then again, not surprising; in the UK, it and rugby evolved from common ancestor codes, and so the physical element abided.

Hence the English meme of 'diving foreigners', etc.

I think for the most part the difference is fine, though I lean towards prefering the less physical game.

THe problem is idiotic English fans who think "passion" and "hard work" are substitues for actual technical skill, and think leg-breaking tackles are "part of the game".

You could be describing the way Canada views hockey vs. the rest of the world in your post... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

You didn't watch last night's El Classico then....

http://youtu.be/IPghV2qpeiU
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on August 18, 2011, 02:47:23 PM

Dear Christ, what accent was that?

Liep

Has there been any Classico without a fight this last year? Also, I don't get why Real hasn't fired Mourinho already, I'd be ashamed if I were a fan.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

The Vulcan death pinch was hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Mourinho is my favorite coach.   :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Warspite

Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2011, 03:57:25 PM

Extreme Geordie. I've seen him commentate other games, he gets so ridiculously excited.

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Larch

Quote from: Warspite on August 19, 2011, 04:47:31 AM

Extreme Geordie. I've seen him commentate other games, he gets so ridiculously excited.

Damn, and I thought that the Ulster Irish accent was difficult to understand...

About getting excited, he has nothing on the Argentines, though.  :P

Josephus

He lives in America now and does most of the commentary for Gol TV. He is amazing with over stretched metaphors  like "Messi danced through the defence with better balance than a waiter on a cruise ship in rough waters."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

That is how I assume Josq talks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

I loved Mourinho when he was with my beloved Chelsea. He was quite th entertainment, and built up Chelsea in the meantime.

But he is clearly losing it. Going to Madrid was insult enough against the decent half of humanity, but this stupidity is the last straw. Fuck him.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2011, 08:48:38 AM
That is how I assume Josq talks.

I think he talks more like Simon on Frasier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2d3_54k_zk

And yeah, I know, the actor's Australian. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Warspite

Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2011, 09:16:35 AM
I loved Mourinho when he was with my beloved Chelsea. He was quite th entertainment, and built up Chelsea in the meantime.

But he is clearly losing it. Going to Madrid was insult enough against the decent half of humanity, but this stupidity is the last straw. Fuck him.

Yeah, well be happy you've not been listening to Arsene Wenger's press conferences recently.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2011, 08:44:48 AM

He lives in America now and does most of the commentary for Gol TV. He is amazing with over stretched metaphors  like "Messi danced through the defence with better balance than a waiter on a cruise ship in rough waters."

http://youtu.be/gS6Np-g_h5w

"Like a Jedi Knight, no better than that, like a Templar Knight!" 
"Like Kathy Bates, in that movie, remember that?"

:lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.