News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Groups E and G will ensure that two good teams from Europe, capable of playing exciting, attacking football, will not be at the World Cup. Instead, we will have workmanlike defence and counterattacking from mediocre players. <_<
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Maladict

Quote from: Warspite on July 31, 2011, 05:37:07 AM
Groups E and G will ensure that two good teams from Europe, capable of playing exciting, attacking football, will not be at the World Cup. Instead, we will have workmanlike defence and counterattacking from mediocre players. <_<

True, I was just trying to find an upside by looking at the group stage only.
On the other hand, I made a handsome amount of cash by predicting Greece would win Euro 2004  :hmm:

Josephus

How does the "best 8 second place teams" work? In one group, the last one, they play one less game.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on July 31, 2011, 08:29:47 AM
How does the "best 8 second place teams" work? In one group, the last one, they play one less game.

The points won against the 6th placed team isn't counted.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Soccer on an American network broadcast station? :o :o :o  :cool:

I eagerly await watching an ad for LA Galaxy vs. NYRB during a Notre Dame commercial break.

QuoteNEW YORK - Major League Soccer​ (MLS) and the NBC Sports Group today announced a three-year media rights agreement, which commences at the start of the 2012 MLS season. The partnership calls for 45 MLS games and four U.S. Men's National Team contests to be televised live across both NBC and NBC Sports Network each season. This marks the first rights deal for the newly-named cable channel that will be re-branded from VERSUS on Jan. 2, 2012.  The announcement was made today by MLS Commissioner and Soccer United Marketing CEO Don Garber and Mark Lazarus, Chairman, NBC Sports Group.

"Everyone at the NBC Sports Group is thrilled to begin this partnership with Major League Soccer," said Lazarus. "MLS is a perfect fit for our new group, and we are uniquely positioned to help grow soccer in the United States with extensive coverage on NBC Sports Network, significant programming on the broadcast network and our growing digital platforms. Additionally, this agreement complements the partnerships that five of our regional sports networks have with their local MLS teams."

Each season, NBC will broadcast two regular-season MLS games, two playoff games and two appearances by the U.S. Men's National Team, marking the first time four MLS matches will be broadcast on English-language network television since 2002. The NBC Sports Network will televise 38 regular-season games, three playoff games and two U.S. Men's National Team matches. All telecasts on NBC and NBC Sports Network will consist of pre-game and post-game coverage. According to the agreement, the NBC Sports Group obtains digital rights across all platforms and devices for the games it televises. 

"Our new partnership with the NBC Sports Group is a significant step forward for Major League Soccer and U.S. Soccer," said MLS Commissioner and Soccer United Marketing CEO Don Garber.  "The NBC Sports Group is world-renowned for its award-winning coverage, superb broadcast quality and promotional expertise. We are excited to be part of NBC's ambitious plans for soccer and look forward to reaching a considerable audience on multiple platforms."

Featuring an exciting mix of players, including world-class stars such as Landon Donovan​, David Beckham​ and Thierry Henry​, MLS is one of the nation's fastest growing sports properties. It has seen considerable growth across many metrics, including number of teams (10 clubs in 2004 to 19 in 2012) and new stadiums (two soccer stadiums in 2004 to having 15 of 19 clubs playing in venues built with soccer in mind, including new soccer stadiums in Houston and Montreal next year). This season, the League is enjoying the highest average attendance and largest number of corporate sponsors in its 16-year history.

Along with already-established MLS partnerships with five Comcast SportsNets (California, Chicago, Mid-Atlantic, New England and Philadelphia), this agreement provides the league with coverage across the NBC Sports Group's unique four-tier portfolio of assets: broadcast network, national cable, regional sports networks and digital platforms
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

I watched the Fulham-Aston Villa game on ESPN 2. What a snoozefest.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

In other news, Arsenal still lack a creative midfielder without Fabregas, and Joey Barton's still a cunt.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josephus

And Liverpool's revival may be overstated.
Civis Romanus Sum

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2011, 11:47:03 AM

I watched about fifteen minutes of that before almost falling asleep. I bailed to watch the Newcastle/Arsenal game and received a huge headache for my efforts.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on August 13, 2011, 02:49:14 PM
In other news, Arsenal still lack a creative midfielder without Fabregas, and Joey Barton's still a cunt.

You're a lifelong Gooner, right? How bad are things now?   :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 13, 2011, 05:59:26 PM

I watched about fifteen minutes of that before almost falling asleep. I bailed to watch the Newcastle/Arsenal game and received a huge headache for my efforts.

I did fall asleep. I was sorta hoping a riot would start in the stands. WOTS ALL THIS THEN?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2011, 06:13:26 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 13, 2011, 05:59:26 PM

I did fall asleep. I was sorta hoping a riot would start in the stands. WOTS ALL THIS THEN?

This might cheer you up then. Bunch of Scots, though. http://youtu.be/G5hL6UbstyE

Highlights are horse charges at 4:31 and 5:33, a reference to Passchendaele at 6:19, and a casualty collection point set up in one goal.

Ed Anger

Josquius

i was pleasantly surprised by the liverpool game. Caught snippets of the 1st half and it seemed set to be a walloping. But we pulled through and got a point. Huzzah.
Just hope I get my new optical connection in time for next week`s game...
██████
██████
██████