And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2011, 09:36:40 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 29, 2011, 09:04:18 AM

You should merge with the other Scandis into one league. You could get up to a pretty good standard then IMO.

The idea has been out there for a while. The attempt to create a Nordic league in winter in the form of Royal League (the name is an ABERRATION!!) crashed.

Problems: Should each country have quotas? 3-4 teams from each country? Distances. Scandinavia is huge. From Tromsø to Malmö, that's really far, and with only a handful of clubs managing above 15.000 on average attendance, I see the financial problems becoming huge. You could of course just start with franchises like in North America.

The other problem is that FIFA and UEFA have also killed the idea of multinational leagues. There was some talk of a "Habsburg" league with the best teams from Croatia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria and Hungary, in order to make an actually competitive and financially viable central European football system.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

That's a pity, since those countries already had competitions running back in the 1930s and had some of the best players in pre-war Europe.

I think FIFA is useless.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Warspite

Quote from: Norgy on July 29, 2011, 11:20:53 AM
That's a pity, since those countries already had competitions running back in the 1930s and had some of the best players in pre-war Europe.

I think FIFA is useless.

It is a massive pity since right now these countries have jokes of leagues (I can't speak for the others, but Croatia could do fine with a top league of four teams), whereas a more competitive system for the top clubs - tougher fixtures, bigger attendances, more viewers, more revenue - would mean better wages, better training systems.

Football would be the winner, but not FIFA and UEFA who would lose their stranglehold over the running of the game (and the latter over lucrative European competition).
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 29, 2011, 11:32:42 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 29, 2011, 09:04:59 AM
Rumour has it that Klinsmann is being touted.

Yup, it's him.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2011/07/Klinsmann-Named-Head-Coach-of-US-MNT.aspx

Not a surprise, in a way, since apparantly Gulati had wanted him before giving the job to Bradley (which was part of the reason Bradley had an "interim" tag on his title for so long). 

Admiral Yi

He was smooth in the announcer's box during the WC.  No clue if he's a good choice or not.

Ed Anger

I also enjoyed the nazi references he and his booth buddies did during the World Cup on ESPN.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 29, 2011, 05:40:09 PM
He was smooth in the announcer's box during the WC.  No clue if he's a good choice or not.

He was a top player. Really good. And when he was coaching Germany, it seemed like the players loved him, which I think might be a good start. Since he's a bit of a charismatic type too, he's a good choice for spreading the gospel of soccer. I think the US has made a good choice.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on July 30, 2011, 03:17:03 AM
He was a top player. Really good. And when he was coaching Germany, it seemed like the players loved him, which I think might be a good start. Since he's a bit of a charismatic type too, he's a good choice for spreading the gospel of soccer. I think the US has made a good choice.

Good to know. :cheers:

Josephus

World Cup qualifiers made.

In Europe, some poor, easy groups and one noticeble group of death that features Spain, France, Belarus, Georgia, Finland.

England get Montenegro, Ukraine, Poland, Moldovia and San Marino.

Here are the UEFA groups:

A: Croatia; Serbia; Belgium; Scotland; Macedonia; Wales
B: Italy; Denmark; Czech; Bulgaria; Armenia; Malta
C: Germany; Sweden; Irelan; Austria; Faroe Is.; Kazekstan
D: Holland; Turkey; Hungary; Romania: Estonia; Andora
E: Norway: Slovenia: Switzerland; Albania; Cyprus; Iceland
F: Portugal; Russia; Israel; N. Ireland; Arzebajan; Luxembourg
G: Greece; Slovakia; Bosnia/Herz; Lithuania; Latvia; Liechtenstein
H: England; Montenegro; Ukraine; Poland; Moldovia; San Marino
I: Spain; France; Belarus; Georgia; Finland.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

How did Norway and Greece end up as 1st seeds? Anyhow, with Italy and the Czechs in our group we're not going to Brazil.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2011, 03:21:20 PM
How did Norway and Greece end up as 1st seeds? Anyhow, with Italy and the Czechs in our group we're not going to Brazil.

You should be able to beat the Czechs...it's Malta you ought to worry about.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Well this is a disaster, the last thing we needed was the grudge match against Serbia in Belgrade.

Either UEFA will insist on closed door games, or the asshat hooligans on both sides are going to cause trouble and get both of us deducted points.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

Quote from: Liep on July 30, 2011, 03:21:20 PM

The FIFA ranking. Which is bonkers.

Maladict

Group A is kind of interesting though. Pretty much everyone has a decent shot at second place.
Same thing with Groups E and G, except for the token minnows.