News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Youtube has live Copa America games?

anyways, saw the Brazil game on TV, pretty boring. Brazil really need to get their act together in three years.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Yep they are broadcasting the whole thing apparently.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

:wtf:
That...would be just bizzare as a one off change.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

They should consider moving the World Cup somewhere better. Like Europe.
Fucking Quatar.

alfred russel

If FIFA can propose turning the sport into trimesters, then I'm not going to be embarrassed to propose with my fellow americans that the goal size be increased.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on July 07, 2011, 04:24:46 PM
FIFA, the asswipes, are considering three "halves" for the WC in Qatar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/8621726/World-Cup-in-2022-could-become-a-game-of-three-halves-in-the-40-degree-heat-of-Qatar.html

What kind of stupid shit is that?  PLay the freaking game.  If your team cannot run up and down for 45 minutes in the heat you will lose.  Period.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2011, 09:29:41 AM
If FIFA can propose turning the sport into trimesters, then I'm not going to be embarrassed to propose with my fellow americans that the goal size be increased.  :)

And a goal, depending on where it's scored from, should give 1, 2.5, 3 or 4.7 points.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on July 08, 2011, 12:14:18 PM
And a goal, depending on where it's scored from, should give 1, 2.5, 3 or 4.7 points.

That is idiotic.  kicking the ball over the goal should be 1 point, kicking it in the goal should be worth 6 points and punching the goalie in the face and stealing his pants should be worth 20.  Now that I could get behind.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2011, 11:02:54 AM
Quote from: Josephus on July 07, 2011, 04:24:46 PM
FIFA, the asswipes, are considering three "halves" for the WC in Qatar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/8621726/World-Cup-in-2022-could-become-a-game-of-three-halves-in-the-40-degree-heat-of-Qatar.html

What kind of stupid shit is that?  PLay the freaking game.  If your team cannot run up and down for 45 minutes in the heat you will lose.  Period.

If they're really that worried, it would make more sense to split it into quarters and have a couple of minute long drinks breaks at the quarter and three quarter mark.

If you did split the game into thirds one team could quite easily have an unfair advantage over the other simply because of the direction the wind is blowing.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Barrister

There is nothing wrong with dividing a sporting game up into thirds.  And since you can't call them halves or quarters, you might as well call them periods.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 12:39:39 PM
There is nothing wrong with dividing a sporting game up into thirds.  And since you can't call them halves or quarters, you might as well call them periods.

Are they all going to be indoor venues in Qatar, then? The idea of halves for an outdoor ball game is that neither side suffers a disadvantage due to the wind or other environmental factors - if you split it into thirds one team is going to have an advantage by default.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2011, 12:39:39 PM

And midfielder is a lame name for a position.  We should call them left and right wingers.

Josquius

I could maybe see a case for calling for a 5 minute break when there's a dead ball around 30 mins and 65 mins but totally altering the game into thirds...no.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Sweden getting spanked by Japan :o
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son