And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2011, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: Norgy on June 09, 2011, 11:44:46 AM
Still, the US fielded a fairly strong team for the first World Cup.

We did until that generation died off.  Between WWII and the 1970s soccer went into hibernation.  Heck I remember in the 1980s I had to watch the World Cup in Spanish.

I had a great grandfather who was a professional soccer player for St. Louis.  Not sure when, I think it was like the first couple decades of the 20th century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Have you got any more info on him?

Could be interesting to hear what it took to become a professional athlete back then.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2011, 11:39:13 AM
Big game against Panama today.

The USA has been really sucky in the Gold Cup so far but destiny demands a Mexico v USA championship so do not suck tonight boys.  I hope Altidore gets back soon  :(

Altidore had been having a good tournament. It must be really eating him up that he pulled his hamstring. I was hoping he would have some sort of "breakout" tournament where he suddenly turns into a prolific striker. We need one. Bad.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Freddy Adu subbed in for Agudelo, hit a great diagonal ball to Donovan to start the counterattack that led immediately to the winning goal, and after dribbling past two defenders would have had an assist if not for Bradley flubbing up his shot/pass(?).
It's good to see him getting another chance and playing very well. :)

Valmy

I have to admit...20 years of having an anemic offense does get old.

Ah well on to the finals!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Gold Cup final USA-Mexico was fun, as always.

I'd say the best thing to come out of the tournament for the US was Adu playing well. He looked really up to it and it's great to have a player on the team who knows how to dribble past defenders for once.

Josephus

It was a great game to watch as well...though it seemed as though the US was the away team. I think this is one of the best Mexican sides ever assembled.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2011, 08:14:02 AM
It was a great game to watch as well...though it seemed as though the US was the away team. I think this is one of the best Mexican sides ever assembled.

Yeah. Most of the 93,000 in the Rose Bowl were supporting Mexico. Understandable since the game was in L.A.

I was concerned after the US went 2-0 up. I'm not used to our team being 2 goals up within 30 minutes. I knew something was going to ruin it. Then Cherundolo got injured.  :weep:

Josephus

In other news, the Women's World Cup begins...and Canada has a decent medal shot. Go Canada!
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Tyr on June 10, 2011, 07:20:47 AM
Ireland didn't join the union until after the USA was formed. And even then Ireland didn't cease to exist as shown by all those England-Scotland matches in various sports.

???

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on June 22, 2011, 02:20:58 PM
Have you got any more info on him?

Could be interesting to hear what it took to become a professional athlete back then.

I'll have to ask my dad.  I gathered he didn't get paid much though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 26, 2011, 08:14:02 AM

That always happens.  We have alot of traitors over here.

Of course they wont freaking play soccer, or support our pro clubs...or do anything involved with advancing the game over here...but they go and cheer for Mexico when they show up.  But I ain't bitter no sir.

In any case it was USA v Mexico as it should be in any CONCACAF championship and this time they kicked our ass.  But we will be back!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2011, 05:56:31 PM

That always happens.  We have alot of traitors over here.

Of course they wont freaking play soccer, or support our pro clubs...or do anything involved with advancing the game over here...but they go and cheer for Mexico when they show up.  But I ain't bitter no sir.

It happens all the time here, in Canada, especially in Toronto. Just recently Canada had a warmup game against Ecauador just before the Gold Cup. There were 18,000 people in the stadium...17500 of which were wearing Ecuadorian colours.
Civis Romanus Sum

alfred russel

Haha River Plate.  :lol: I guess this means no more superclasico? (although Boca may be joining them before to long the way they have been playing)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

FunkMonk

Watching Copa America matches live on YouTube is :cool: