News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 09:01:34 AM
Right....so, that's my point---winning the EC does not translate into a WC.

I'm not saying Spain WON"T win....I think there's a few good favourites. Plus the unpredictability of the African nations will make this Cup interesting.

Please they´ve been hyping those african teams since 90 and they´ve still not achieved jack. Although I suppose FIFA being the corrupt gasbags they are might put their dirty little fingers into fixing that.

Warspite

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 10:47:49 AM
I'm hoping the refs won't ruin this WC. We'll see.

I am sure this will be another major international tournament that proves we don't need goal-line technology or any kind of system of referral.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

As I've said before I think the Europeans will do pretty good due to the weather being similar to what they're used to playing in; maybe even better than in the WC in Germany in some places since that was played at the height of summer.

Quote from: Cecil on April 07, 2010, 12:04:17 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 09:01:34 AM
Right....so, that's my point---winning the EC does not translate into a WC.

I'm not saying Spain WON"T win....I think there's a few good favourites. Plus the unpredictability of the African nations will make this Cup interesting.

Please they´ve been hyping those african teams since 90 and they´ve still not achieved jack. Although I suppose FIFA being the corrupt gasbags they are might put their dirty little fingers into fixing that.
Earlier than that even I think. Didn't Pele say something about Africans winning the world cup before the end of the century back in the 70s?
██████
██████
██████

Alexandru H.

I don't hate good african teams (like 2002 Senegal or 1990 Cameroon), but I hate nations that will be moved up by sheer ref influence (South Africa *wink*)

Josephus

No comments on tonight's Man Utd game? Up 3-0 at one point.

First time in years there's no English club in the final four.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 07:18:28 PM

My dream final is 4 games away: Barca - Bayern...  :hug:

Good for the mancs. Hope they lose the PL title to Chelsea or Arsenal.

As for Ferguson's comments about ze Germans... rot in hell, you damn Scot!  :mad:

Warspite

Quote from: Josephus on April 07, 2010, 07:18:28 PM

That was great - Olic's bundled Suker-esque goal to Robben's wonder strike. I was in a pub with a lot of depressed Mancs; it really took the sting off the drugging Arsenal got.  :D
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Liep

Norway 1 - 1 Denmark

Denmark played a pretty decent game and creating more chances than we're used to, alas the Norwegians got a late equaliser and still leads the group. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Vancouver played their first MLS game ever, beating Toronto. Apparently the stadium was full too.

lustindarkness

The International Friendly Match between USA and Argentina has been exciting, they are playing for real, not just an exhibition game. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

I am sad that the Dutch trounced us this week because this IS the best Hungarian team since quite a while but the poor guys got tainted sooo much before the game.

This is the problem with our football. Since we kicked serious ass 60 years ago, many here consider us to be of temporarly fallen football elites.
So, every time we have the national team perform even marginally better than abysmal, suddenly the expectation is to beat everyone and qualify and stuff. I mean, seriously. There was such a  propaganda at work to advertise this match as we had a decent chance at WINNING.
And then we got totally pwned. I saw Tier 4 English teams stand up better against Premiere Leauge ones in cup matches, than how we were totally raped by the Dutch. They only scored 4 goals because they stopped caring after that.

Norgy

Quote from: Liep on March 26, 2011, 07:04:11 PM
Norway 1 - 1 Denmark

Denmark played a pretty decent game and creating more chances than we're used to, alas the Norwegians got a late equaliser and still leads the group. :(

The point wasn't exactly the most well-earned in Norwegian footballing history. The game was a bore as well. Nice Danish goal, though.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2011, 03:19:42 AM
I saw Tier 4 English teams stand up better against Premiere Leauge ones in cup matches, than how we were totally raped by the Dutch. They only scored 4 goals because they stopped caring after that.

And because they're going to do it again on Tuesday. :boff:

Warspite

Quote from: Tamas on March 27, 2011, 03:19:42 AM
I am sad that the Dutch trounced us this week because this IS the best Hungarian team since quite a while but the poor guys got tainted sooo much before the game.

This is the problem with our football. Since we kicked serious ass 60 years ago, many here consider us to be of temporarly fallen football elites.
So, every time we have the national team perform even marginally better than abysmal, suddenly the expectation is to beat everyone and qualify and stuff. I mean, seriously. There was such a  propaganda at work to advertise this match as we had a decent chance at WINNING.
And then we got totally pwned. I saw Tier 4 English teams stand up better against Premiere Leauge ones in cup matches, than how we were totally raped by the Dutch. They only scored 4 goals because they stopped caring after that.

It could be worse. You could have a team full of players who put in great performances week in week out for their club teams, and yet, because of some glory ten years ago, consistently play lazily and sloppily for the national team, while having a manager whose idea of tactical flexibility is throwing a in-the-box strike out as a wide midfielder.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA