And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 09:38:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2009, 02:41:08 PM
I'd say that the South America cup, whatever it's called, matters as well - about as much as the Euro.

Anyway do you even know who won the last Copa America?

I DO!

But anyways rumor has Landon DOnvan getting a shot in Premiership with Everton going on loan from Jan-April.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 02:36:04 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2009, 02:34:53 PM
Do we even have a baseball team? :unsure:

No.  But if you still had your Empire you would be the greatest Baseball powerhouse on the planet...well actually you would probably dominate every major sport.  Pity.

The only two Euro countries that compete are the Italians (there is a small region of the country where it became popular while we were there in WWII) and the Netherlands (thanks to their Carribean islands)

Are you sure about that?  Those were the 2 European teams in the WBC, but I think there are a few other places in Europe where they play baseball.  I know that the Netherlands won an European championship of some sort, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a 2-team tournament with just them and the Italians.

The Larch

I'd say that the South America cup, whatever it's called, matters as well - about as much as the Euro.

Oh yeah?  The US has a standing invite to play in that one but it happens in the middle of our club season so we don't often.

Brazil. They win it almost all the time.  :lol:
And your club season calendar is retarded.

BVN

Quote from: dps on December 10, 2009, 01:25:58 AM

No.  But if you still had your Empire you would be the greatest Baseball powerhouse on the planet...well actually you would probably dominate every major sport.  Pity.

The only two Euro countries that compete are the Italians (there is a small region of the country where it became popular while we were there in WWII) and the Netherlands (thanks to their Carribean islands)

Are you sure about that?  Those were the 2 European teams in the WBC, but I think there are a few other places in Europe where they play baseball.  I know that the Netherlands won an European championship of some sort, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a 2-team tournament with just them and the Italians.
Baseball is played in most European Countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Baseball_in_Europe

katmai

Quote from: The Larch on December 10, 2009, 03:20:24 AM

Oh yeah?  The US has a standing invite to play in that one but it happens in the middle of our club season so we don't often.

Brazil. They win it almost all the time.  :lol:
And your club season calendar is retarded.

They do it because MLS would be killed if tried to play same time as NFL :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

dps

Quote from: BVN on December 10, 2009, 04:22:41 AM

Baseball is played in most European Countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Baseball_in_Europe

Yeah,  note that the Isrealis play in the European championships;  in some sports they are grouped with the European nations in international play for political reasons, but in baseball I think they are the only country in the Middle East to have a national team.  Well, Turkey, if you consider them to be in the Middle East.

Not only does Spain have a national team, they've actually won the European championship (though it was a long time ago).  That was 1 of only 2 out of 30 tournaments not won by either Italy or the Netherlands.  The Spainish and Germans seem to finish 3rd a lot, though.

Josephus

For what it's worth.  Although the Confeds Cup is not looked upon as a major tournament by the big teams, it was impressive for the US to win that. They showed character after coming out pretty weak. And I'm no fan of the US of A, as some of you may know.

The US soccer team has been growing stronger with each passing tournament. I'd rate them now up there with the second tier European teams. They're gonna give England a run for top spot in that group. And I'd say the US has a strong chance of making the Quarters and possibly the semis this world cup.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Iormlund

I've said for a long time that the only thing the US needs to fulfill its potential is a good coach. And that means someone with ample experience with major European teams as well as national-team building. A guy whose experience is restricted to the US can only get you so far. A man like Hiddink on the other hand ...

Valmy

I mean that compete on the international level.  I know they play baseball in the South of France a guy I know was a big fan of the sport and I attended a game between two French teams.

Mon Dieu it was hilarious I have seen better fielding at my weekend softball games.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on December 10, 2009, 08:34:42 AM
For what it's worth.  Although the Confeds Cup is not looked upon as a major tournament by the big teams, it was impressive for the US to win that. They showed character after coming out pretty weak. And I'm no fan of the US of A, as some of you may know.

The US soccer team has been growing stronger with each passing tournament. I'd rate them now up there with the second tier European teams. They're gonna give England a run for top spot in that group. And I'd say the US has a strong chance of making the Quarters and possibly the semis this world cup.

Well we didn't win it we lost in the final to Brazil blowing a 2-0 2nd half lead.  Yes I am bitter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:17:47 AM
Quote from: Josephus on December 10, 2009, 08:34:42 AM

Well we didn't win it we lost in the final to Brazil blowing a 2-0 2nd half lead.  Yes I am bitter.

See. I forgot already.  ;) Still....good show.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

The FA cup has been good this year.
I don't feel as happy as I did with Man Utd's loss- Liverpool not being as hateworthy and Reading not so shit but still. heh
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I actually like L'pool, but this year has been so bad, I find myself laughing at their misfortunes. You're right though the Man Utd. loss to Leeds was classic.
Civis Romanus Sum

PDH

Everybody knows the only EPL teams worth supporting are those with Americans on them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM