Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 02:36:04 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2009, 02:34:53 PM
Do we even have a baseball team? :unsure:

No.  But if you still had your Empire you would be the greatest Baseball powerhouse on the planet...well actually you would probably dominate every major sport.  Pity.

The only two Euro countries that compete are the Italians (there is a small region of the country where it became popular while we were there in WWII) and the Netherlands (thanks to their Carribean islands)

I expected as much.

I've known people that played American Footie competitively and I've done so for fun a couple times. I also know that there's an ice hockey league in those places where there's an ice rink. Pretty much everyone has played basketball (much more than footie in my case), but I've never ever heard about anyone playing baseball. That could change I guess, since we've received over a million immigrants from the colonies.

Jacob

Quote from: Octavian on December 09, 2009, 02:24:08 PMHeck Denmark won it in 1995 and nobody gave a damn or saw the matches. Instead we were still frustrated over the fact that we hadn't qualified to the 94 world cup.

Denmark won the Confederation cup?

I never knew.

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2009, 02:45:18 PM
Quote from: Octavian on December 09, 2009, 02:24:08 PMHeck Denmark won it in 1995 and nobody gave a damn or saw the matches. Instead we were still frustrated over the fact that we hadn't qualified to the 94 world cup.

I never knew.

I didn't even know there was one back then. I thought it was a more recent scam by Blatter.

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2009, 02:41:08 PM
I'd say that the South America cup, whatever it's called, matters as well - about as much as the Euro.

There's only two real powers over there, Argentina and Brazil, which IMHO puts it at a severe disadvantage compared to the EC.

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2009, 02:43:43 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 11:33:52 AMIt's rinky dink if everyone thinks it's rinky dink and only sends their fat kids to play.

:lol:

Exactly

Well it's not just that. Spain's team in paper was not weak at all. In fact Spain's backup midfield is probably better than any other midfield in the world right now.

The main problem is motivation. This kind of games offer very little reward. A player is never going to give a 100% in these circumstances. He's not going to contest the ball or keep running for that long pass, risking an injury for nothing. He's not going to push. But when the WC is on the line ... a good performance can be worth a career, tens of millions in the bank. And it shows.

Liep

I never knew.

2-0 over Argentina iirc. I was excited.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Cecil

Quote from: Iormlund on December 09, 2009, 02:57:05 PM
I'd say that the South America cup, whatever it's called, matters as well - about as much as the Euro.

There's only two real powers over there, Argentina and Brazil, which IMHO puts it at a severe disadvantage compared to the EC.

:lol:

Exactly

Also considering the euro is played once every 4th year keeps the rarity of the event and thus the excitement high while Brazil and Argentina plays each other what? 4-5 times each year? Probably not that much but it isnt like its a rare event. More like a derby in a top euro league.

Cecil

Speaking of rare events the 6 months wait for the WC is starting to get on my nerves. I want it NAU!

bogh

I never knew.

Me neither.  :huh:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: bogh on December 09, 2009, 04:23:13 PM

I never knew.

It was called King Fahd Cup back then, and played in Saudi Arabia. It was rebranded as Confederations Cup in 1997.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on December 09, 2009, 03:13:26 PM2-0 over Argentina iirc. I was excited.

The "iirc" says it all.  I imagine you'd never put an "iirc" behind the score of the game when Denmark won the Euro Cup.

Josephus

Quote from: Cecil on December 09, 2009, 03:33:12 PM
Speaking of rare events the 6 months wait for the WC is starting to get on my nerves. I want it NAU!

Yup. Bring it on.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

bogh

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2009, 04:30:37 PM
Quote from: bogh on December 09, 2009, 04:23:13 PM

I never knew.

It was called King Fahd Cup back then, and played in Saudi Arabia. It was rebranded as Confederations Cup in 1997.

Right, I just looked it up. That does vaguely ring a bell.

The other teams were apparently Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and Japan.

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2009, 05:50:10 PM
The "iirc" says it all.  I imagine you'd never put an "iirc" behind the score of the game when Denmark won the Euro Cup.

I don't really know why I put in the "iirc" because I was certain it was 2-0. But I will grant you that I cannot remember who scored or how they did it, or the games leading up to it, like I can with 92.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Oh yeah?  The US has a standing invite to play in that one but it happens in the middle of our club season so we don't often.

Anyway do you even know who won the last Copa America?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."