News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on December 09, 2009, 01:26:45 AM
Wow, Bayern destroyed Juve. That was unexpected.

Serie A is really in decline.

In other news, Porto defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0, another club in steep decline.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 09, 2009, 08:06:48 AMIn other news, Porto defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0, another club in steep decline.

For Atlético to be in steep decline, they should have been high at some point in recent memory.  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on December 07, 2009, 05:19:01 PM
The three international titles that count are: Champion's League, Euro Cup and World Cup.

So two Euro tournaments (one a club tourney at that) and the WC.  Wow that is fair to the rest of us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 09:28:11 AM
The three international titles that count are: Champion's League, Euro Cup and World Cup.

So two Euro tournaments (one a club tourney at that) and the WC.  Wow that is fair to the rest of us.

Well, it's true.  :P #4 and 5 would be the Copa América and the Libertadores Cup, I guess.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on December 09, 2009, 09:22:21 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 09, 2009, 08:06:48 AMIn other news, Porto defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0, another club in steep decline.

For Atlético to be in steep decline, they should have been high at some point in recent memory.  :P

When Gil y Gil had his way  :D

Valdemar

Tell me, how does that differ from the structure in Hockey or Basket? You wouldn't watch EC in Hockey would you?

V

Josquius

Its just the way it is. All the best African and Asian players play in Europe and most of the best South American ones.
I think you probally could sub copa america and maybe the african cup of nations for the euro cup in the relevant areas but the asians have their eyes squarely on europe; even more narrowed down England, Spain and Italy.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Valdemar on December 09, 2009, 10:09:33 AM
Tell me, how does that differ from the structure in Hockey or Basket? You wouldn't watch EC in Hockey would you?

V

We don't have alot of international Hockey and Basketball tournaments that invite all the top countries but don't count for some reason?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on December 09, 2009, 10:09:33 AM

V

We don't have alot of international Hockey and Basketball tournaments that invite all the top countries but don't count for some reason?

Part of the reason, in hockey anyways, is that there isn't the same esteem held to the international game as there is in soccer. For instance: In ice hockey there is a World Cup every year. Every year. Who knows? The NHL is knee-deep in the playoffs. All the great players are playing in the domestic league. In soccer the world stops when the World Cup is on. Even the last stalwart, the MLS, is going to suspend play for the first two weeks of the World Cup.

It just doesn't happen in hockey.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

We get them back by keeping them out of the World Series and Super Bowl.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on December 09, 2009, 11:18:04 AM
We get them back by keeping them out of the World Series and Super Bowl.

Well we did establish the World Baseball Classic ;)

I do not so much care about the club sport angle but it is a tad annoying the US goes out and reaches the finals of an international tournament only to be told it did us zero good.  Meh.

Admiral Yi

Which rinky dink tourney did we come in second again?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 11:29:15 AM
Which rinky dink tourney did we come in second again?

Confederations cup.  All the winners of the tournaments came together to play a tourney.  We had beaten Mexico to win the Gold Cup of CONCACAF so we were there representing North American and its little brothers, Spain was there as they won the Euro and we beat them.  Is it really rinky dink when the winners of the biggest tournaments were all there?  Buncha BS is what that is.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2009, 11:31:30 AM
Confederations cup.  All the winners of the tournaments came together to play a tourney.  We had beaten Mexico to win the Gold Cup of CONCACAF so we were there representing North American and its little brothers, Spain was there as they won the Euro and we beat them.  Is it really rinky dink when the winners of the biggest tournaments were all there?  Buncha BS is what that is.
It's rinky dink if everyone thinks it's rinky dink and only sends their fat kids to play.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 09, 2009, 11:33:52 AM
It's rinky dink if everyone thinks it's rinky dink and only sends their fat kids to play.

Et tu Yi? :weep: