Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

When does the actual festivus begin?

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: PDH on December 05, 2009, 10:18:00 AM
Denmark also has fans willing to get their team disqualified if they know the ref's are out to get them - that is the blindly stupid passion one expects in futbol.

He was a renegade living in Sweden...  :mad:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2009, 05:05:51 PM
Quote from: Sahib on December 04, 2009, 04:23:20 PM
I think I'll adopt America as my WC nation.
USA! USA! USA!

:hug:

Oh and Slovenia really?  What about the Confederations Cup?  Respect!

The Confederations Cup is a mere money-making scheme nobody cares about. As for Slovenia, you should never underestimate former Yugos. There's always been a lot of talent over there. That been said, I'd like to see England crushed and the US going forward along with Slovenia.

Maladict

Quote from: Iormlund on December 05, 2009, 02:47:23 PM
The Confederations Cup is a mere money-making scheme nobody cares about. As for Slovenia, you should never underestimate former Yugos. There's always been a lot of talent over there. That been said, I'd like to see England crushed and the US going forward along with Slovenia.

:yes:
That's why I picked Slovenia, they'll get a surprise win, could well be against England.
But England should be able to advance, so the US needs to go.

Duque de Bragança

Domenech a un bol de cocu, ça ou Platini a encore frappé !  :menace:

Vise

Apparently both Defoe and Lampard fail at penalties this weekend. 

Was Defoe's miss:

A bad attempt by an English striker?

A great save by an American Goaltender?
Honey badger don't give a shit!

katmai

Quote from: Vise on December 07, 2009, 04:02:40 AM
Apparently both Defoe and Lampard fail at penalties this weekend. 

Was Defoe's miss:

A bad attempt by an English striker?

A great save by an American Goaltender?

Duh

Valmy

The Confederations Cup is a mere money-making scheme nobody cares about.

So the only way we can ever win anything anybody cares about is the World fucking Cup?  Damn everybody sure has ridiculous standards. :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2009, 04:47:44 PMSo the only way we can ever win anything anybody cares about is the World fucking Cup?  Damn everybody sure has ridiculous standards. :(

People only care about winning regional cups if it means that the winner had to face and beat legitimate world cup contenders.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2009, 04:52:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2009, 04:47:44 PMSo the only way we can ever win anything anybody cares about is the World fucking Cup?  Damn everybody sure has ridiculous standards. :(

People only care about winning regional cups if it means that the winner had to face and beat legitimate world cup contenders.

Ah well it was only Spain we beat, so i see your point.

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on December 07, 2009, 04:53:48 PMAh well it was only Spain we beat, so i see your point.

Wait what?  I thought you were talking about the Concacaf and that you almost won, but I guess that was Mexico.

The Confederation Cup... I agree with Iormlund.  No one cares, even if Spain and Brazil play.  Good on you for beating Spain though, but when it doesn't matter it doesn't matter.  Let's hope you can beat them should you face them when it matters.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2009, 05:00:36 PM
Wait what?  I thought you were talking about the Concacaf and that you almost won, but I guess that was Mexico.

Well we did win it in '05 and '07.  No such luck this year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2009, 04:47:44 PM
The Confederations Cup is a mere money-making scheme nobody cares about.

So the only way we can ever win anything anybody cares about is the World fucking Cup?  Damn everybody sure has ridiculous standards. :(

The three international titles that count are: Champion's League, Euro Cup and World Cup. The rest (Intercontinental, Mundialitos and so on) just don't involve enough quality contenders or cause as much high blood pressure in fans and players. You can put the blame on a lack of tradition, bad timing during the season or whatever, but in the end teams wander on the field as if they were playing a friendly and viewer ratings are not nearly close enough to a CL, WC or EC because they know it.
I guess it is kind of hard to explain to a foreigner, but Spain completely shuts down when the national team plays on a WC or EC. And I do mean completely. That didn't happen on however that tourney in SA was called (hell I didn't even know we were playing until well into the game).

Anyway, being so hard to win is precisely what gives the WC its appeal (though the EC is actually harder because there are hardly any crappy teams involved).

Zanza

Wow, Bayern destroyed Juve. That was unexpected.