News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sahib

I think I'll adopt America as my WC nation.
USA! USA! USA!
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Valmy

Quote from: Sahib on December 04, 2009, 04:23:20 PM
I think I'll adopt America as my WC nation.
USA! USA! USA!

:hug:

Oh and Slovenia really?  What about the Confederations Cup?  Respect!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

I got pretty excited today when I learned of the US's group. Plus I think the US is in it's usual uptick cycle.

'94 - Up (first time to qualify in centuries, great just to make it to Round of 16)
'98 - Down (Spanked, by Iran no less :bleeding:)
'02 - Up (Quarterfinal action :yeah:)
'06 - Down (Spanked again)
'10 - ??? (hopefully up)

We should be able to make it to the second round, where there's a good chance we'd play Germany in a rematch of the 2002 quarterfinal.

Valmy, I suggest synergizing as soon as possible.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Group G is certainly the group of death. couldn't be a better drawing for us Porto haters!!

People are certainly underestimating Slovenia. Didn't they beat the Russkies. IIRC they have an imprenetable defence, and England doesn't exactly have poerful forwards. The Usa will always be a challenge to beat. I think it's a three-way run for those two spots. It's no group of death or anything, but close enough.

Fucking Italians got a nice break. As did the Spaniards.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 04, 2009, 06:04:04 PM
I got pretty excited today when I learned of the US's group. Plus I think the US is in it's usual uptick cycle.

'94 - Up (first time to qualify in centuries, great just to make it to Round of 16)
'98 - Down (Spanked, by Iran no less :bleeding:)
'02 - Up (Quarterfinal action :yeah:)
'06 - Down (Spanked again)
'10 - ??? (hopefully up)

This actually supports your theory but the US did qualify in '90 and went 0-3.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 04, 2009, 07:33:15 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about '90.  :blush:

Which is totally understandable as it was a very forgetable performance.

Jacob

What's Cameroon like these days?

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on December 04, 2009, 06:37:27 PM
Group G is certainly the group of death. couldn't be a better drawing for us Porto haters!!
:cry:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Quote from: Jacob on December 04, 2009, 07:38:28 PM
What's Cameroon like these days?

An awesome striker, a few recognizeable names and that's it, basically.

dps

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 04, 2009, 07:33:15 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about '90.  :blush:

And technically, in '94 we didn't qualify;  we got in as the host nation.

Anyway, my provisional picks to advance:

A
Mexico
Uraguay

B
Argentina
Nigeria

C
England
United States

D
Germany
Serbia

E
Netherlands
Denmark

F
Italy
Slovakia

G
Brazil
Ivory Coast

F
Spain
Chile

Josquius

Group G is interesting, 3 teams that are tipped to go all the way in one group....I guess Ivory Coast go out. Unfortunatly.

Anyone know if they're doing anything about those annoying horns (visulas? something like that)
They ruined that little tournament last summer.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

I think Japan will advance and Denmark won't.  Denmark doesn't have any heart.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Neil on December 05, 2009, 08:15:16 AM
I think Japan will advance and Denmark won't.  Denmark doesn't have any heart.

Japan may have the heart and some technical finesse, but Denmark has physical strength and some technical finesse. Question is does physical strength beat heart, yes it does more often than not... 
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

PDH

Denmark also has fans willing to get their team disqualified if they know the ref's are out to get them - that is the blindly stupid passion one expects in futbol.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM