Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 04:46:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:41:53 PM
Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 04:40:12 PM
There's tons of focus on club competition  :huh:

And national teams is about the best players a country can produce, while club competitions are mostly about having the most money. Doesn't have as much soul.

:rolleyes: even youth training is becoming less tied to where the guy was born nowadays, especially on a world-wide level. And in Europe if you become really great, you play in France, Italy, Spain or England by your late teens.

First of all I think players playing for a country other than the one they were born in should be severly restricted, second of all players switching countries is not something happening on a very large scale in Europe

You see this sentiment is a problem. Why should it be restricted? If you want the European nations to accept each other and work together, you need to mix them. Some typical bum who is crazy for football will never care for some government PR campaign, but nowadays can see a black African, and a Dutch, a French, etc. play their hearts out for his favourite club.
This process should not be blocked.

Pat

I was talking about players switching national teams

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:52:57 PM
You see this sentiment is a problem. Why should it be restricted? If you want the European nations to accept each other and work together, you need to mix them. Some typical bum who is crazy for football will never care for some government PR campaign, but nowadays can see a black African, and a Dutch, a French, etc. play their hearts out for his favourite club.
This process should not be blocked.

National teams is unique to Soccer at the scale it is at.  Why do you want to destroy the most unique thing about the sport?  I mean every.  other.  sport.  is all about the club teams.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2009, 04:49:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2009, 04:48:15 PM
The suggestion that France should concede and give up their WC spot to Ireland is silly.

Can you imagine if they did?  That would be awesome :frog:

They could say it is in repayment for the heroics of the Irish Brigade during the Napoleonic Wars :P

It would make an equal amount of sense for the US to give Ireland their World Cup spot as a repayment for giving us the excuse to get drunk that is St. Patrick's Day. Which we shouldn't mention outside of this thread, because a lot of Americans may be okay with that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

South Africa 2010 draw

Seeds: South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Holland, Italy, Germany, Argentina and England

Pot two: Australia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Honduras, Mexico, USA and New Zealand

Pot three: Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay

Pot four: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland

Warspite

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2009, 05:20:40 PM
National teams is unique to Soccer at the scale it is at.  Why do you want to destroy the most unique thing about the sport?  I mean every.  other.  sport.  is all about the club teams.

Apart from Rugby and Cricket, where the most watched events are international tests. :p
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Neil

Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 04:40:12 PM
There's tons of focus on club competition  :huh:

And national teams is about the best players a country can produce, while club competitions are mostly about having the most money. Doesn't have as much soul.
Which, in turn, is about having the most money.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

South Africa, Denmark, North Korea and Paraguay. I'd like that group.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on December 02, 2009, 07:38:33 AM

What about Brazil, France/Portugal, Ivory Coast and USA?  :menace:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on December 02, 2009, 07:40:21 AM
Quote from: Liep on December 02, 2009, 07:38:33 AM

What about Brazil, France/Portugal, Ivory Coast and USA?  :menace:

Wait until Friday :yes:

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on December 02, 2009, 07:14:31 AM
Apart from Rugby and Cricket, where the most watched events are international tests. :p

WTF is an international test?

Ok my knowledge of Rugby and Cricket is about on the same level as my knowledge of the Afghan sport of Buzkashi.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2009, 09:05:22 AM
Quote from: Warspite on December 02, 2009, 07:14:31 AM
Apart from Rugby and Cricket, where the most watched events are international tests. :pjavascript:void(0);

WTF is an international test?

A game between two national teams.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 09:08:44 AM

Oh.  Weird never heard that term for a game before.  I guess it is short for 'contest'.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2009, 09:17:38 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 02, 2009, 09:08:44 AM

Oh.  Weird never heard that term for a game before.  I guess it is short for 'contest'.

It's a British thingie, and only for rugby and cricket AFAIK. In rugby it also means that the match is a friendly and not part of any competition as well. No idea what it means for cricket.

Josephus

So as an England fan and diehard pessimist, I predict:

England
Mexico
Ivory Coast
France.

Yuck.

And my most hated team Germany:

Germany
North Korea
Paraguay
Switzerland.
:eek:

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011