News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

And a quick search finds this:

Not everyone can have the integrity of Cornell, however.  :)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2005/too-deep-zone-5th-and-40

QuoteTimes had changed since 1940, when Cornell traveled to Dartmouth boasting an 18-game winning streak. Dartmouth led 3-0 late in the game on a Bob Krieger field goal (Do it, Bobby, do it!) when Cornell drove down to the five-yard line. Referee Red Friesell lost track of the downs at that point, and the Big Red scored on what turned out to be fifth down.

But the Cornell coaches spotted the mistake two days later when reviewing game films. The coaches allowed the players to vote on what to do next. They gallantly forfeited the game, congratulating Dartmouth of their victory by telegram. The official records state that the Cornell winning streak was snapped by a 3-0 loss to Dartmouth. You can look it up.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:32:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 20, 2009, 04:30:39 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:23:20 PM
And yes, international games are growing ever more pointless with (luckily) more international clubs. There should rather be a system to sort of expand the Champions Leauge or something.

You're out of your mind. World Cup and Euro Cup are amongst the biggest sporting events there are. There's nothing pointless about them.

Okay, after a downspell the last couple ones were pretty entertaining. I would just like more focus on high-end club competitions, rather.

Like what?

Sahib

Okay, after a downspell the last couple ones were pretty entertaining. I would just like more focus on high-end club competitions, rather.

Is this because Hungary sucks as footballing nations and you claim to be a Chelsky fan
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2009, 04:33:44 PM

Cornell and Harvard!  See the Ivy League really is full of gentlemen.

But even in that case Cornell scored the winning score coming from behind.  In this case France was tied.  It would be weird conceding they would have lost without that goal since they cannot know that for sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on November 20, 2009, 04:36:32 PM
And yes, international games are growing ever more pointless with (luckily) more international clubs. There should rather be a system to sort of expand the Champions Leauge or something.

You're out of your mind. World Cup and Euro Cup are amongst the biggest sporting events there are. There's nothing pointless about them.

Like what?

Maybe something like a European super leauge? Like, national first leauges would be like the second division for it. The first X from a given one could advance to it, and, say, the second half of the super leauge would "relegate" to play one season in their national leauge. Something like that.

Tamas

Quote from: Sahib on November 20, 2009, 04:38:03 PM

Is this because Hungary sucks as footballing nations and you claim to be a Chelsky fan

Maybe in part :P

Pat

There's tons of focus on club competition  :huh:

And national teams is about the best players a country can produce, while club competitions are mostly about having the most money. Doesn't have as much soul.

Pat

A Chelsea fan? I guess that explains it  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 04:40:12 PM

And national teams is about the best players a country can produce, while club competitions are mostly about having the most money. Doesn't have as much soul.

The big problem is all the big clubs and top leagues are in Europe right now.  It just wouldn't have the same appeal and certainly not over here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

:rolleyes: even youth training is becoming less tied to where the guy was born nowadays, especially on a world-wide level. And in Europe if you become really great, you play in France, Italy, Spain or England by your late teens.

Tamas

Quote from: miglia on November 20, 2009, 04:40:59 PM
A Chelsea fan? I guess that explains it  :lol:

Now that the team is good again, the bitter envy resurfaces, I see  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:39:47 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 20, 2009, 04:36:32 PM

Like what?

Maybe something like a European super leauge? Like, national first leauges would be like the second division for it. The first X from a given one could advance to it, and, say, the second half of the super leauge would "relegate" to play one season in their national leauge. Something like that.

How's that different from the Champions League? Isn't that enough?

Pat

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 04:41:53 PM

:rolleyes: even youth training is becoming less tied to where the guy was born nowadays, especially on a world-wide level. And in Europe if you become really great, you play in France, Italy, Spain or England by your late teens.

First of all I think players playing for a country other than the one they were born in should be severly restricted, second of all players switching countries is not something happening on a very large scale in Europe

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2009, 04:38:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2009, 04:33:44 PM

Cornell and Harvard!  See the Ivy League really is full of gentlemen.

But even in that case Cornell scored the winning score coming from behind.  In this case France was tied.  It would be weird conceding they would have lost without that goal since they cannot know that for sure.

The suggestion that France should concede and give up their WC spot to Ireland is silly.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2009, 04:48:15 PM
The suggestion that France should concede and give up their WC spot to Ireland is silly.

Can you imagine if they did?  That would be awesome :frog:

They could say it is in repayment for the heroics of the Irish Brigade during the Napoleonic Wars :P