News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on November 19, 2009, 08:28:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2009, 08:25:44 PMNot sure.  On the one hand (ha ha) I can understand the bitching about the ref missing an important call.  But on the other hand people are pissing on France too.  It seems like there might be an unwritten rule that France is supposed to do something to make up for the missed call.

There isn't.  That's just outrage and wishful thinking.
Indeed.  'Hand of God', and all that.

That said, the beneficiaries of these sorts of errors tend to be forever tainted.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2009, 08:02:49 PM
If the final is France and Italy again, what do you do?

Watch Seinfeld on DVD.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Neil

Quote from: Liep on November 19, 2009, 10:24:10 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 19, 2009, 08:02:49 PM
If the final is France and Italy again, what do you do?

Watch Seinfeld on DVD.
Ouch.  The one thing worse than France-Italy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2009, 12:30:16 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 19, 2009, 07:50:25 AM
Maybe more like the gulag, if the country is not represented, it is an irrelevant country  :lol:

Pfft, even represented countries are irrelevant.

e.g. Hungary

Sorry, their treatment at Trianon made their fame here :D

Tamas

Yeah, with a French boss, it was quite likely.

Valmy

Quote from: BVN on November 20, 2009, 06:14:40 AM
Fifa ruled against replaying France-Ireland: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1137489.html#fifa+statement+fai+request

That would have been crazy to do so.  It is not like anybody has never been beaten by a goal that shouldn't have been before.  Referee incompetence is not a justification to overturn a game result or there would be scarcely any game that wouldn't be challenged by somebody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 08:15:30 AM

Are you insane?  Are you seriously suggesting any fair minded person with the best interests of the sport at heart would actually replay a game simply because the referees screwed up?

Talk about opening a gigantic can of worms.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Cerr on November 19, 2009, 06:14:22 PM
Yeah it's very unlikely FIFA will allow for a replay of the game.

The only chance for it to happen would be if the French football association asked FIFA for a replay too but I highly doubt they would.

Wait would FIFA actually allow that even if France did?  That is crazy, simply crazy.  It sucks the dude blew the call but really?  Replay a game?

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2009, 03:43:40 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 20, 2009, 08:15:30 AM

Are you insane?  Are you seriously suggesting any fair minded person with the best interests of the sport at heart would actually replay a game simply because the referees screwed up?

Talk about opening a gigantic can of worms.

A can of worms that has already been opened though.

FIFA ordered Uzbekistan to replay Bahrain in a play-off for the 2006 World Cup in Germany after the referee made a mistake when a penalty had been awarded.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2009, 03:42:46 PM
Quote from: BVN on November 20, 2009, 06:14:40 AM
Fifa ruled against replaying France-Ireland: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1137489.html#fifa+statement+fai+request

That would have been crazy to do so.  It is not like anybody has never been beaten by a goal that shouldn't have been before.  Referee incompetence is not a justification to overturn a game result or there would be scarcely any game that wouldn't be challenged by somebody.

I agree, but if both sides ask to do so, why not? Both sides are going to play all sorts of totally meaningless friendlies anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josephus

New developments. Maybe Henry should keep his mouth shut, but he's now saying that Ireland deserve a replay. Maybe its merely a form of public apology, knowing full well that it will never happen

Thierry Henry has conceded that Republic of Ireland "definitely deserve" to qualify for the World Cup finals and has backed calls for a replay, even though FIFA have already ruled out such a scenario.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=701150&sec=worldcup2010&cc=5901
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on November 20, 2009, 03:48:43 PM
A can of worms that has already been opened though.

FIFA ordered Uzbekistan to replay Bahrain in a play-off for the 2006 World Cup in Germany after the referee made a mistake when a penalty had been awarded.

Wow.

Horrible precedent.  They don't replay games just because a player made a mistake, why would they do the same thing for referees?

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2009, 03:49:43 PM
I agree, but if both sides ask to do so, why not? Both sides are going to play all sorts of totally meaningless friendlies anyway.

Because the game was played and the outcome decided the same way it was for all the other teams?  This is World Cup Soccer not some pee wee good feelings league.