And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

So many international commitments will lead to club teams not releasing the players.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Wenger's late career as a FIFA toadie is weird.

FunkMonk

Quote from: celedhring on September 10, 2021, 10:50:06 AM
Wenger's late career as a FIFA toadie is weird.

I think the man loves football so much he is trying to save it from within the belly of the beast, but in the end it'll eat him too.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2021, 10:31:34 AM
So many international commitments will lead to club teams not releasing the players.

We've seen a first show of concerted resistance this time with the South American players due to the Covid measures, if commitments keep increasing stiffer resistance from clubs can be expected.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 10, 2021, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2021, 10:31:34 AM

We've seen a first show of concerted resistance this time with the South American players due to the Covid measures, if commitments keep increasing stiffer resistance from clubs can be expected.
Yes but that also just feels like FIFA not considering or acknowledging the existence of a global pandemic and the possibility that (unlike in financial matters) in terms of public health they're not above the law and can't just go to CAS.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2021, 10:06:05 AM
Quote from: Threviel on September 09, 2021, 11:32:07 PM
I recently listened to a football history podcast on the Greeks in 2004. Apparently Arsene Wenger was the only big soccer profile that warned of the Greeks before the tournament.
Is this a bit like how he almost signed every great player before they became big? :lol:

I love Wenger though :blush:

One of the best French coaches, no discussion. One of the few who had a brilliant career abroad.
He used to deliver some good if laconical analysis as a commentator on French TV. I still remember when he hinted at a PSG takeover, well before 2011 (QSI), by stating that sooner a later, a club such as PSG, with the Île-de-France population pool, would be very attractive to foreign buyers.

La vieillesse est un (lent) naufrage. :(

Josquius

I don't think he was saying anything too novel with psg there. Soccernomics and probably books long before have talked up the coming rise of capital city teams to dominance for a while before that.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on September 10, 2021, 05:19:32 PM
I don't think he was saying anything too novel with psg there. Soccernomics and probably books long before have talked up the coming rise of capital city teams to dominance for a while before that.

Not back then in France, and nobody in the UK was paying much attention to the PSG potential in Albion as well.

FunkMonk

Nice to see PV continuing to humiliate Spurs as a manager now  :lol:

Josquius

So. Ronaldo. Seems to have been a good idea after all.
Amazing he and Messi remain so good at their age.
I wonder how long they'll continue. Even once they're no longer world class (when?) will love of the game have them playing at lower divisions? - unlikely with Ronaldo I reckon.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Disheartening to see Manchester United are actually genuinely really good now and I'd say are favorites for the league and the Champions League. Pretty disgusting.

Sheilbh

Something none of us want to see - but possibly the lesser evil than my expectation that Chelsea win the League :ph34r:

No idea about Europe
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I dunno. Man Utd winning the league again would make it seem like the past decade hasn't happened and all is right with the world again.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 11, 2021, 05:51:13 PM
Something none of us want to see - but possibly the lesser evil than my expectation that Chelsea win the League :ph34r:

No idea about Europe

United and Chelsea winning everything again. Dark days ahead of us  :lol: