News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I hope man City are made the scapegoat here.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2021, 09:31:57 AM
I hope man City are made the scapegoat here.

Back in the 80s I really enjoyed playing Man. City in Football Manager on the Commodore 64. Taking them up from the 4th division to the top of the first, and beating Man. Utd was very satisfying.

Alas, the shine has worn off :(

The Larch

The Guardian is quoting a rule from the Premier League rulebook that might prevent the 6 English teams from participating in the ESL without the approval of at least part of the rest of the Premier League teams:

Quote"Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men's first team in any competition other than:

L.9.1 - The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 - The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 - The FA Cup
L.9.4 - The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 - The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 - Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member."

It doesn't include the Club World Cup, though...  :hmm:

Sheilbh

I think that's sanctioned by the FA as a member of FIFA so is caught by L.9.6.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2021, 09:28:09 AM
Amazon Prime issued a statement disassociating themselves from this project and saying they weren't involved in discussions about it. Adding broadcasters (who will generate the revenue JP Morgan are projecting :blink:) to the list of unconsulted stakeholders.

It's crazy.

Heh, that's interesting. This morning somebody very well connected told me he had been told they were involved.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 09:47:52 AM
The Guardian is quoting a rule from the Premier League rulebook that might prevent the 6 English teams from participating in the ESL without the approval of at least part of the rest of the Premier League teams:

Quote"Except with the prior written approval of the board, during the season a club shall not enter or play its senior men's first team in any competition other than:

L.9.1 - The UEFA Champions League
L.9.2 - The UEFA Europa League
L.9.3 - The FA Cup
L.9.4 - The FA Community Shield
L.9.5 - The Football League Cup or
L.9.6 - Competitions sanctioned by the County Association of which it is a member."

It doesn't include the Club World Cup, though...  :hmm:

What does "during the season" mean though? They can just sign the ESL joining contract in the summer and not be "during the season".

Sheilbh

I think it means the games can't happen during the season - so clubs can do whatever they want off-season over the summer, but during the Premier League season (so August-May) they can't play in other competitions.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Really enjoying Pérez and Agnelli embracing their role as supervillains  :lol:

Tancredi Palmeri @tancredipalmeri
·
4h
Andrea Agnelli at Serie A board meeting - when others were protesting that with #SuperLeague money they would always win domestic title - replied:

"Same that as happened in last 80 years".

Followed various insults from others presidents, including Torino's calling him 'Judas'

HVC

i mean he has a point. hard to argue that big money will skew the game when big money has always meant winning.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 09:30:43 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 07:57:31 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 07:54:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 07:50:39 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 07:45:28 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 06:04:53 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 20, 2021, 05:58:02 AM
Bunch of chokers. Get a chance to change European soccer for the better & choke on the start line.

If you think that'd be a change for the better...  :rolleyes:

Yes. I am always amazed how FIFA lets the top of Association Football be so diluted.

Others would consider that to be something favourable rather than a handicap.

If so, I better never hear anything bad about the MLS level of play ever again.

What does that have to do with anything?

You tell me some think it's good that the top level of the sports dilute it's talent pool! While the MLS gets laughed at for not being great enough!

I sincerely have no idea about how your thought process goes in this issue.

:lol:

It's ok. We don't need to talk about the MLS. It's ELS time.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2021, 10:40:32 AM
i mean he has a point. hard to argue that big money will skew the game when big money has always meant winning.

It's Italy, not Portugal  :P, so there is a bit more of variety, with Lazio, Roma, Napoli and Sampdoria winning in recent years.

OTOH, the decline of the Serie since the early 2000's meant less variety.

Sheilbh

One of the journos at Johnson's covid press conference snuck in a question on the Super League :lol: :bleeding:

Edit: Correction - every journalist is asking questions about the Super League.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

In Italy you need money *and* underhanded tactics (and Juventus is an expert in both parts), just ask Luciano Moggi.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 11:40:44 AM

In Italy you need money *and* underhanded tactics (and Juventus is an expert in both parts), just ask Luciano Moggi.  :P

So is Inter, though they managed to shift most of the blame to Juventus. Calciopoli ;)

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 20, 2021, 11:45:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2021, 11:40:44 AM

So is Inter, though they managed to shift most of the blame to Juventus. Calciopoli ;)

Nah, Inter are legendary chokers. Definitely behind Juve and Milan in that area.