News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

FC Schalke 04 have fired their head coach.

They have gone through a few in recent years.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Huub didn't even last a month
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

He only filled in between hires, I think. He was Schalke headcoach from 1996 till 2002 during one of the strongest phases of the team (culminating in almost becoming champions in 2001).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I'm impressed. Better than Sunderland even.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

We now have further details on the Bartomeu saga. Apparently his associates delivered personal data of Barça's members to the troll farm to help them target their online campaigns. They also disguised the expenses to avoid oversight from the club's comptroller.

While all of this is criminal behavior it still doesn't reach the level of paying 150 million for Coutinho.

Duque de Bragança

Neymar injuries in Paris, so since 2017-18

Too much partying/boozing and staying up late to watch whatever Brazilian Reality TV crap does not help I guess.

The Larch

As his two more severe injuries deal with broken bones in his foot, I doubt that refraining from partying would make his bones stronger, though.  :P It's a bit exagerated, any professional footballer will accumulate a laundry list of injuries over time.

Josephus

I just saw him play a monk in Spanish Netflix show Casa del Papel (money heist).
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on March 03, 2021, 06:05:38 PM
Braithwaite  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

are you going to keep him now? Me and my dad are looking at either an Inter or Barca game when Europe opens up next spring.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Do EPL games ever get cancelled due to fog?

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on March 04, 2021, 12:35:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 03, 2021, 06:05:38 PM
Braithwaite  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

are you going to keep him now? Me and my dad are looking at either an Inter or Barca game when Europe opens up next spring.

We're broke and he's a low-earning, effective player. It would make too much sense to keep him so I guess that we won't? That's the Barça way.

That said, even if he stays we'll probably buy another striker, and if Fati's back healthy, that will cut severely into his minutes. Eriksen is probably a safer bet.

celedhring

If you want to have more laughs at us, a local newspaper has taken the address of one of the shell companies that Bartomeu allegedly used to hide the payments to the troll farm, and tracked it down on google street:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on March 03, 2021, 07:22:43 AM
As his two more severe injuries deal with broken bones in his foot, I doubt that refraining from partying would make his bones stronger, though.  :P It's a bit exagerated, any professional footballer will accumulate a laundry list of injuries over time.

For what it's worth, Neymar already has way more injuries than Ronaldo. Plus it's not just partying as I said (staying up late for Real TV crap?!)
His face is showing some signs of too much alcohol, or some health issues though.
On his way to be another Coentrão?  :P

As for the pic I linked, suspensions for cards were not counted, and at least one season start in 2020 was not counted. Still recovering from an injury to ankle ligaments.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 04, 2021, 06:51:29 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 03, 2021, 07:22:43 AM

For what it's worth, Neymar already has way more injuries than Ronaldo.

If you mean Brazilian Ronaldo, I don't think the comparison holds up. Ronaldo missed entire seasons because of recurring knee injuries when he was at Inter, while Neymar has never had an injury like that.