Josquius

Quote from: Liep on October 19, 2009, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 19, 2009, 07:44:19 AM
November Play-offs

Republic of Ireland-France
Portugal-Bosnia-Herzegovina
Greece-Ukraine
Russia-Slovenia

A couple of possible upsets here. All I can say is go Bosnia!
That will be a interesting match. Three teams on the field at once...

:P
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Imagine if Bosnia Herzogovina played Trinidad and Tobago.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Warspite

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 11:21:50 AM
Quote from: Liep on October 19, 2009, 11:01:57 AM
November Play-offs

Greece-Ukraine
Russia-Slovenia

A couple of possible upsets here. All I can say is go Bosnia!
That will be a interesting match. Three teams on the field at once...

:P

Four, actually :ph34r:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

clandestino

It seems I'm kind of rooting for BiH to win the play-off, although I shouldn't say this out loud for fear of being decapitated by my fellow countrymen.

BiH has a good team that wouldn't shame itself on the WC and I think it could be helpful on the construction of a national identity over there, a thing that they might need.

Portugal on the other side should go back to the drawing table after sacking Queirós and removing Ronaldo from the captain spot and giving it to someone who actually deserves for what he has done on the national team like Simão or Ricardo Carvalho.

Cerr

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2009, 07:45:50 AM
November Play-offs

Greece-Ukraine
Russia-Slovenia

I bet France, Portugal, Ukraine and Russia will go through.
It's going to be tough for Ireland but not entirely impossible to get through. I think the French manager is the real weak point for France.
Everyone was hoping to draw Greece from the 4 seeded teams.

I'm still annoyed with FIFA for pulling that cynical move about seeding the play off draw when they saw that some of the big teams would be in it.  <_<

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on October 19, 2009, 10:28:15 AM
:o? Will the curse live on now?

Doh!  I totally forgot about the blessing of Valmy. :(  Je suis désolé, mes amis français. :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: The LarchYet you still don't have a real goalkeeper and your strikers, besides Rooney, are not up to the task. I mean, Heskey is still being capped.
The Bent star is rising.
The lack of a world class keeper is a big problem though.

You don't just lack a world class keeper, you lack a plain good one. I mean, Spain's 4th keeper would be a shoe in for England. Weren't there talks of giving Almunia the British nationality before the WC so he could play for England?

The Larch

BTW, apparently there are rumours going on in UEFA circles saying that Ukraine will most probably be stripped of co-organizing Euro '12, with Poland getting the same treatment if their part of the organization doesn't shape up in the coming year.

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2009, 04:16:13 PM

You don't just lack a world class keeper, you lack a plain good one.

Yup...that will be the thorn in England's side. Most teams that win the world cup, in my memory, have always had a top class goalie backing them up...be it Buffon or Kahn or Zoff or whomever. England's goalkeeping issue is my biggest worry going into South Africa.

I know it's very early to make predicitons, but I imagine we can see one of the African teams breaking out and coming close. There's always one or two African teams that have done pretty well, and maybe having the cup in their continent will be rewarding for them. I don't imagine an African team will win...but a semi-finalist? Perhaps.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on October 19, 2009, 04:16:13 PM
Weren't there talks of giving Almunia the British nationality before the WC so he could play for England?

I could believe that, they even talked about giving Schmeichel's son British nationality... then you're really desperate. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

He does have English nationality.
According to Wiki though the powers that be are opposed to him playing and insist he's Spanish.
That would be very very iffy behaviour if we did that. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with it. And if England did win...well it'd be a huge scandal and would likely lead to such mercenary behaviour becoming ever more widespread.
You could well imagine the ruler of Dubai taking a interest in football and granting UAE citizenship to a bunch of awesome 3rd world players in exchange for big sums.
International football should remain pure even if club football is very tainted.

African teams: IIRC Ghana (I think it was them...) are quite heavily tipped as a good nation to put money on to win. High odds but a great team. Apparently.
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Where have all the budding Peter Shilton's gone... :cry:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Alatriste

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2009, 06:07:15 PM
He does have English nationality.
According to Wiki though the powers that be are opposed to him playing and insist he's Spanish.
That would be very very iffy behaviour if we did that. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with it. And if England did win...well it'd be a huge scandal and would likely lead to such mercenary behaviour becoming ever more widespread.
You could well imagine the ruler of Dubai taking a interest in football and granting UAE citizenship to a bunch of awesome 3rd world players in exchange for big sums.
International football should remain pure even if club football is very tainted.

African teams: IIRC Ghana (I think it was them...) are quite heavily tipped as a good nation to put money on to win. High odds but a great team. Apparently.

IIRC the rules are you can't play in two national teams, ever. If Almunia had played for Spain, then he would be barred from joining England's team. But he never did so it would be OK for England to have him. I don't think that would get a raised eyebrow in Spain. We have had players born in Argentina, Hungary... and even in today's team: Marcos Senna was born in Brazil, he's an Spanish citizen only since 2005. 

Valdemar

Quote from: Alatriste on October 20, 2009, 01:08:47 AM

IIRC the rules are you can't play in two national teams, ever. If Almunia had played for Spain, then he would be barred from joining England's team. But he never did so it would be OK for England to have him. I don't think that would get a raised eyebrow in Spain. We have had players born in Argentina, Hungary... and even in today's team: Marcos Senna was born in Brazil, he's an Spanish citizen only since 2005.

Just look at the Portuguese team, they nationalised their third Brazilian only 10 days before their game in Copenhagen.

V

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valdemar on October 20, 2009, 02:26:35 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on October 20, 2009, 01:08:47 AM

Just look at the Portuguese team, they nationalised their third Brazilian only 10 days before their game in Copenhagen.

V

Tordesillas treaty still applies after all :contract:  :P