Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on September 04, 2009, 03:57:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 03, 2009, 01:42:15 PM
Funniest part: we will still win the Premiership this season. Unless a string of injuries occur, we don't need signings.

What's all that "we" crap? Are you part of the squad? Don't be a Timmy...
He's already a Tim.  Chelsea is the Patriots of the Premiership.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

Excellent. Now we only have to loose the last game too and I´ll pop the champagne here at home.

Josephus

Well the only way we can keep the Portos out of the playoffs is for them to lose to um....hmm.....Malta.
:huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Agelastus

While I haven't watched the game, I am sure I am safe in saying that our goalkeeper is an idiot. :mad:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Even though it was pretty much a done deal months ago the US officially qualified tonight.  I look forward to Altidore hoisting the World Cup in triumph next year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 10, 2009, 04:55:03 PMAlways good to get the decisive victory in Moscow before Winter comes  :D
And now it's up to the Africa Corps.  :P

Alexandru H.

We have become the 1990s Hungary  :cry:

Without the possibility of bragging about two World Cup finals  :Embarrass:

CountDeMoney

QuoteBalto. Co. woman killed, national team soccer player hurt in crash
22-year-old from Phoenix dies in single-car crash in Virginia early Tuesday

The Associated Press

5:06 PM EDT, October 13, 2009

ARLINGTON, Va.

A Baltimore County woman was killed and a member of the U.S. men's national soccer team was injured in a one-car accident early Tuesday in the Washington, D.C., area.

Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, was killed in the crash, which occurred in the southbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Virginia at about 3:15 a.m., according to U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser.

Charlie Davies, who was injured in the crash, was expected to undergo more than five hours of surgery. U.S. Soccer Federation spokesman Neil Buethe said Davies' injuries were not life-threatening but "possibly" career-threatening. "We don't know specifically what the surgery is for," he said.

"Obviously, as a team we were saddened to learn this news," U.S. coach Bob Bradley said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and his family, as well as the other person in the car and the families of the others involved. ... We are relying on each other in a moment that has for sure hit us all hard."

Schlosser said there were three people in the car, and that Roberta was not the driver. Davies and the other person in the car were taken to Washington Hospital Center Medstar, one by land and one by helicopter. Schlosser did not say who was driving the car, and the cause of the accident remained under investigation.

The U.S. team was in the Washington area to prepare for Wednesday night's World Cup qualifying game against Costa Rica.

The 23-year-old Davies has four goals in 17 international appearances. He started and played 78 minutes in the Americans' 3-2 victory over Honduras on Saturday that clinched a berth in their sixth straight World Cup. He made his first U.S. appearance on June 2, 2007, as a substitute against China.

Born in Manchester, N.H., Davies played for Boston College before turning pro in 2006. He was a member of last year's American Olympic team and currently plays for the French club Sochaux. Davies' parents were in route to Washington on Tuesday, USSF spokesman Michael Kammarman said.

The U.S. team had an optional breakfast at its hotel Tuesday, and officials were informed of the accident around 11 a.m., just as Davies' surgery was about to begin. Bradley gathered the players before lunch and informed them of the news. Davies' teammates were not made available for comment.

"Obviously, the players are saddened by the situation and, obviously, hope the surgery goes well for Charlie and that he has a quick recovery," Buethe said.

CountDeMoney

QuoteARLINGTON, Va. -- U.S. national team forward Charlie Davies had several broken bones and a lacerated bladder after a one-vehicle accident Tuesday in which another person was killed.

Davies underwent several hours of surgery at Washington Hospital Center Medstar, where he was listed in serious but stable condition. The injuries make it unlikely Davis will play in next year's World Cup.

The tibia and femur in Davies' right leg were broken. He also sustained facial fractures and a fracture in his left elbow in the accident, which took place at about 3:15 a.m. in the suburbs of the nation's capital.

Davies will be hospitalized for at least a week and additional operations will be required to stabilize his broken elbow and possibly the facial fractures.

"Injuries of this nature usually require a recovery period of six to 12 months and extensive rehabilitation
," said Dr. Dan Kalbac, a U.S. team doctor who collaborated with the doctors at the hospital. "Due to Charlie's fitness level, his prognosis for recovery and his ability to resume high-level competition is substantially improved."

The accident occurred in the southbound lanes of the George Washington Memorial Parkway in Virginia and claimed the life of Ashley J. Roberta, 22, of Phoenix, Md., according to U.S. Park Police Sgt. David Schlosser.

There were three people in the vehicle, and Davies and Roberta were passengers. Schlosser didn't identify the driver, who was also taken to Washington Hospital Center Medstar. The cause of the accident remained under investigation.

"The car was pretty much split in half," Schlosser said, according to The Washington Post.

Davies was airlifted to the hospital after the accident, where a team of doctors first repaired the ruptured bladder and then inserted titanium rods in both broken leg bones. A statement released by USSF said the procedure was performed "with no complications."

The U.S. team is in the Washington area for Wednesday night's World Cup qualifying game against Costa Rica.

The 23-year-old Davies has four goals in 17 international appearances. He started and played 78 minutes in the Americans' 3-2 victory over Honduras on Saturday that clinched a berth in their sixth straight World Cup. He made his first U.S. appearance on June 2, 2007, as a substitute against China.

Born in Manchester, N.H., Davies played for Boston College before turning pro in 2006. He was a member of last year's American Olympic team and currently plays for the French club Sochaux. Davies' brother, sister and father arrived in Washington from California late Tuesday, according to U.S. Soccer Federation spokesman Neil Buethe.

The players were subject to a team curfew Monday night, Buethe said, and Davies apparently was in violation. There was no mandatory team function until lunch on Tuesday, so officials were not aware of the accident until 11 a.m., just as Davies' surgery was about to begin. U.S. coach Bob Bradley informed the players of the news as they gathered for lunch.

The players were not made available for comment, but many in the U.S. soccer community expressed somber thoughts via Twitter.

"Just got some terrible news about my boy. :( :( :( I'm done tweeting for the day, too much stuff runnin through my head," tweeted midfielder Maurice Edu, who has played for the U.S. team but is not on the roster for the game in Washington.

"OMG please pray for Charlie Davies and the people involved in the car accident in dc," was the message from Freddy Adu, also a member of the national team's player pool.

Davies played in 13 games, with nine starts, for the U.S. national team this year, scoring three goals with three assists. His absence leaves Jozy Altidore, Brian Ching and Conor Casey as the top forwards as the Americans begin preparations for the World Cup, which begins June 11 in South Africa. There will also be another roster spot likely up for grabs, with forwards such as Adu and Kenny Cooper possibly working into the mix.

Such mundane thoughts paled to the grief expressed Tuesday over the death of a young woman and the serious injuries suffered by a teammate.

"Obviously, as a team we were saddened to learn this news," Bradley said after hearing about the accident. "Our thoughts and prayers are with Charlie and his family, as well as the other person in the car and the families of the others involved. ... We are relying on each other in a moment that has for sure hit us all hard."

Liep

Aaaaand we're back to playing like crap.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

At least, Peugeot cannot be blamed this time...

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on October 14, 2009, 03:52:54 PM
Aaaaand we're back to playing like crap.

Denmark? Didn't matter did it.?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2009, 04:48:29 PM
Denmark? Didn't matter did it.?

Not really, but it would still be nice to play like you wanted to win. Also, crappy substituting. Daniel Jensen should never have played.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

France won against Austria, at last.  :D Even for a stakeless game, against a weaker team, a nice dive in the penalty box giving a goal  :frusty: